Several died ethernet interfaces on Arty A7 boards

Question

Hello,

we are using Arty A7 for prototyping our product which has ethernet connection. After some time, the ethernet connection is not possible anymore and it seems that the PHY is defective.

However, it is not clear what could be the cause for this problem. It seems to be independent of the temperature of the environment. The time until it fails is also very random, from weeks to months.

Is there a way to find the reason for this and identify the failing component? Are there similar reports concerning this problem?

4 answers to this question

Hi @TomF,

As far as I know, you are the first person to bring up a repeating problem with the Ethernet or PHY.

Could you let us know a little bit more about your setup and general environment to help narrow down some possibilities?

Thanks,
JColvin

Perhaps a related issue:

I just received an Arty-A7-100, and am trying to run the Avnet LwIP example working.

First issue is that their software repository (UG-AES-A7MB-7A35T-G-Arty_lwIP_EthernetLite_VIV2015_v1.pdf - page 32) does not work.

• If I try to create a project as described (page 34) SDK aborts.
  • If I try to build a BSP using LwIP from that repository, the build fails.

Second issue is that if I use the Xilinx LwIP the initialization routine hangs.

Something is weird, perhaps marginal, that is stopping the Ethernet port from working.  Or it could be that the IP needs to be configured specially for this board?

I'm using 2018.3 - per my client's specification.

Regards,

Gary.

Edited by ghelbig

There is nothing really special about our setup or environment. As the boards also die when the temperature is low, there must be something else that is not working correctly. One thing I can tell for sure: the ethernet does not have a general problem, as it is working before it fails.

The periphery we are using is only some I2C, SPI and the XADC as well as the PHY. The power is supplied by the 9V port of the Arty-A7. 

19 hours ago, ghelbig said:

Perhaps a related issue:

I just received an Arty-A7-100, and am trying to run the Avnet LwIP example working.

I'm using 2018.3 - per my client's specification.

Regards,

Gary.

An update:  I made it work using Vivado 2015.2.  It sometimes reports an 'invalid temac configuration', but it usually works.

There is something definitely wonky with later SDK (and perhaps IPI) versions.  I am not looking forward to the task of porting it to later version. 

TomF:  What versions of software are you using?  There is a comment in the Avnet documentation saying that they found an issue with provided software, and had to patch it to make it work on the Arty card.  (And BTW, what is your "low temperature" ?)

G.