Continuous sampling with ADP3450?

MTA

Question

Hello!

We are thinking about purchasing the ADP3450 for various lab applications. From the documentation I found on your website I am not sure if the device can sample the analog channels continuously, and if so, at which sample rate. By “continuous sampling” I mean that the device captures data (potentially indefinitely long) on the analog channels and sends it to the control computer where it would then be stored. I read about the datalogger function, but if I understood correctly, it runs only up to 10 Hz sampling rate, which would be way to low in our case.

Thank you very much for a short info on that!

Malte

6 answers to this question

Hi @MTA

The mentioned limit is for the Logger tool in the WaveForms application.

For the ADP3X50 the maximum rate for 'unlimited' recording (Scope to PC) over USB or Ethernet is about 4MS/s.
In embedded Linux mode it can capture at much higher rate, depending on storage media (Ram, EMMC, USB...), CPU utilization...
In Standard boot mode it can capture 128MiS at up to 125MHz.
For details take a look at the WF app Help:

image.thumb.png.372f45b868d3f2a240d77f8c855d1071.png

Hello Attila!

Thanks a lot for the quick response! I have difficulties extracting the relevant information from App’s help section. Is that 4MS/s continuous sampling functionality you mentioned directly accessible via the GUI or is there any scripting/coding necessary to implement it? What I mean: it would be nice to have (at least as the simplest and straight-forward option) a simple record-button which would if pressed start recording the analog data to hard disk until it is pressed again.

Thanks again for the support!
Malte

Hi @MTA

For performance reasons the application limits the capture to 128MiS and the data can be exported to file.

For larger capture the example Python scripts can be used.
In the future I'll add record to file option for the application.

In Standard boot mode (usb and ethernet device) the recording can go up to ~20MSps (4channel x 5MHz) since this uses the device DDRam as 128MS buffer.
In Linux device mode about 4MSps (4channel x 1MSps or 2 x 2MSps or 1 x 4MSps).
These rates depend on the computer.

image.png.2e08eb0c75c5cf75a5217a73c57a8fe4.png

image.thumb.png.c33937d3a8da24d69fd3db718b8bcf85.png

Hi!

Nice to hear that a “record to file” functionality will be added!

For my understanding: currently a data chunk of 128e6 14-bit samples can be recorded continuously in one go, correct? That would mean that if I would like to record one single channel with 100e3 samples/sec (100 kHz) that I could capture 1280 seconds = 21.33 minutes. If I would like to record twice as fast the length of the data chunk would half. Do I get the logic right?

Thank you very much!

Malte

Edited by MTA
typo