A Guide to Using DDR in the all HDL Design Flow

I've started a thread for people wanting to know how to use the DDR memory on their FPGA boards. I want this to be interactive as it's not possible to provideĀ  a single demo project that works for all boards and all versions of Vivado. To get this started, I've provided a tutorial in the file XilinxDDR_Tutorial_Part_1.txt. As, the name implies this is just the beginning of the tutorial, but if you get through it, you will have a working DDR design running on your hardware.

Not everyone ( perhaps no one? ) will be happy with having to plow through a long text file but there are reasons for why I am presenting this material in this format. Perhaps, I will try and pretty the content up at a later time, if the topic is popular enough.

[Update] I've posted part 2 of the Tutorial. You can follow steps to creating a more useful DDR design by reading the file XilinxDDR_Tutorial_Part_2.txt. This isn't the end.

imp_top.v imp_top.xdc

XilinxDDR_Turorial_Part_1.txt

NexysVideoDdrDemo.vhd NexysVideoDdrDemo.xdc UART_DEBUGGER2.vhd XilinxDDR_Turorial_Part_2.txt YASUTX.vhd

Edited by zygot

The Mig IP doesn't allow you to assign the system_clock as the reference_clock input unless the Input Clock period is set to 5000ps ( 200 MHz ). Why is that?

According to the Series7 Select IO manual the reference clock for IDELAY can be 190-210 MHz or 290-310 MHz. According to the Artix datasheet we should be able to use either a 200 MHz or 300 MHz IDELAY reference clock for the -1 speed grade. So why doesn't the IP allow for using a 300 MHz system clock as the reference clock for the Nexys Video? The answer is that I don't know.

Interestingly, for the Nexys Video board, if you go with the Vivado 2019.1 default 2:1 controller PHY clock period of 3225ps this translates to a PHY clock of 310.0078 MHz. The MMCM math starts to become a problem, especially if you want a high quality clock for your DDR; and you do.

The tutorial doesn't mention why you checked the Use Internal Vref box though it comes up as unchecked by default.

If you look at the Nexys Video schematic you will see that on IO bank 35 where the DDR3 signals are connected, the two VREF pins are used as GPIO; in this case as a DQ and DDR3 address pin. So you have to check this option. On a board like the Genesys2 the bank VREF pins are connected to the same net as the DDR3 VREF pins, so you would leave this option unchecked. The Genesys2 uses the Kintex and has the DDR3 signals connected to an HP bank with more features than HR banks so the tutorial doesn't completely cover all of the details for setting up the MiG for that board.

If you are designing a board there are a lot of ways to mess up the external memory interface. Copying a design from another vendor is not a particularly good way to cheat it on doing your homework.

I've added material for Part 2 of the tutorial. Read both .txt files to follow along. Enjoy. Do post comments whether you find the tutorial useful or not, but especially if you are struggling with porting the code to your board.

Edited by zygot