Analog Discovery Pro 3000 Series: ADP3250/ADP3450 Record Mode Sample Rate

oeser

Question

Hi,

I am thinking about buying one of the Analog Discovery Pro oszilloscopes (ADP3250/ADP3450). I want to make sure, that the device is suitable for my measurement application: I want to sample an analog signal with 5 MHz (1 Channel). 14 Bit resolution should be enough. I want to record the signal continiously. If this is not possible, then at least for 5 seconds. Unfortunately this is not possible with a standard oszilloscope. I want to transfer the data to my PC for further processing.

According to the specs, both oszilloscopes can work in the so called "record mode" and provide an input buffer of up to 128 MSamples. This should be enough for me. However, it is mentioned, that the record mode is not available in linux mode at sample rates over 1 MS/s. For the normal operation mode there is no limit specified. Anyway, I can not believe, that it is possible to transfer the maximum data rate (100 MS/s / 125 MS/s) to the PC via ethernet. So the maximum possible sampling rate should depend on the ethernet connection between the PC and the device. If I use the WaveForms application in demo mode, I lost samples if the sample rate was higher than 2 MS/s. I dont know, wether this is representative. Does someone has experience what the maximum sample rate in normal record mode is?

Is the device capable of measuring 25,000,000 sample points at a sample rate of 5 MHz, with an resolution of 14 Bit?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

oeser

1 answer to this question

Hi @oeser

At 5MHz you could record up to 26 seconds (128Mi samples) reliably.

The samples are stored at 16bit resolution, so with sample rate below ADCs 100/125MHz averaged samples will improve the resolution.

In Standard, Linux and Embedded mode the recording length is unlimited with custom application/script.
The rate is limited by the (USB, Eth, AXI) bandwidth and latency, since a too long delay may cause device buffer overflow.
In Standard mode it will use additional 128M Sample buffer in the DDR and this can be used at up to 125MHz for one channel... 31.24MHz for four channels.

The WF application for performance reasons limits the recording to 128M samples.

image.thumb.png.cf5dc44afc88cc540621f78eab158f1c.png

image.thumb.png.913ab310031c908624f20a17b7b398bd.png

Here you can find some speed test results: