Suggestion: Limit sample rate in Waveforms

Someone

Question

Hello,

I'm using a Digital Discovery with Waveforms 2.16.40 in Logic mode and I want to make a longer scan at a low rate using the full 256 Mi sample space by limiting the inputs to 8. But when I zoom in to reaquire a higher resolution detail view the sample rate goes up to 800 MHz. Maybe it makes sense to add an option to limit the maximum rate.

From your company view this could be a checkbutton in device configuration "High speed adapter" yes/no. With which you set the maximum to 200 MHz when no, even in "800MHzx8" mode.

From a user point of view this could be a number entry or selector where the user can say "That's the maximum rate I get valid results for in my current setup".

3 answers to this question

Record mode is limited to around 1MHz.

The software does a good job setting the right parameters when zooming in and out of the diagram to ensure maximum resolution on repeated capturings. When limiting the inputs to 8 the memory allows 256Mi samples instead of only 64Mi in other modes. So one can have higher resolution for a 4 times stretched time period. But when the setup doesn't allow signal integrity at 800MHz I want to limit the maximum rate used.

That's something I have to do manually now by limiting the rate when it gets set too high and adjusting the viewport.

This would be easier if the software could do this automatically. At the moment life is easier with like the 100/200MHz modes and 64Mi samples, but with software support one could have up to 4 times the sample rate (up to a point) for a given time period - without hassle.

Hi @Someone

You are right, sometimes the high sample rate can be confusing. Initially it only had 2/4/800MHz options and later added the "100MHz 32bit" option but this limits the 256MiB buffer to 64Mi Samples.
The next version will add 3rd option as you suggested.

image.thumb.png.740e1560135b94e6bd7b5d34660b477e.png

The Record with Digital Discovery can go up to the 256MiS 800MHz 8bit just like normal (Repeated) capture.
The 1MHz note should be for the other devices, it will be removed for DD.

Thank you for the observations.