Analog Shield and Chipkit Wifire compatibility

SC3

Question

I've been using the Analog Shield with the uC32 board, but I was just reading the specifications on the Chipkit Wifire and would like to try using that board instead because of the much larger static RAM (512kB vs 32kB for the uC32). I read the reference manual for the Chipkit Wifire, and it appears to me that the Analog Shield should work from the hardware point of view. I tried compiling some code using the Analog Shield for the Wifire with Arduino software and chipkit-core, but the Analog Shield library gives an error "Incorrect processor type"  because the board doesn't have a PIC32MX processor. If I modify the analogShield.h header file to add "#if defined (__PIC32MZ__)" and put in the same includes as for the PIC32MX, is that likely to work? Or will there be other problems? Will the faster clock speed of the Wifire cause a problem with the Analog Shield? I'm also interested in the DSP functions of the PIC32MZ. I found a library for MPLAB Harmony. Is it possible to port it or modify it to work with MPIDE or Arduino with Chipkit-core?

3 answers to this question

Hi SC3,

From my understanding the Analog Shield was originally designed without the PIC32MZ chips in mind (since they didn't exist at the time), so I'm not sure what the implications would be. I have asked some of our applications engineers who are more familiar with the Analog Shield to see what their thoughts are on this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi SC3,

There is no issues with using the Wi-Fire from a hardware standpoint. I added the (__PICMZ__) to the .cpp and .h file for the analogShield library in the zipped file below. The Wi-Fire compiled and loaded with no issue. I am not aware of any ports of the DSP Harmony library for MPIDE or Arduino-chipKIT core.

thank you,

Jon

analogShield.zip

Thank you very much for the quick reply, and also for modifying the .cpp and .h files for the analogShield library. I have ordered a Wi-fire board and look forward to trying it in a few days. If it works well for my project, I may be ordering a few more for students to use when they build their projects for a summer course.

Archived