Zybo Z7-20 Pmod connector JF

canisio

Question

Hello all,

I'd like to connect a Pmod peripheral to the JF connector of Zybo z7-20, however, looks like the board files do not include this interface. When I open a new block design on Vivado, the "board" tab shows only JA through JE connectors. Do I have to manually map it? Maybe use the master xdc file? I'm using Vivado 2018.2 and the "new" board files from github. Thanks!

Edited by canisio
typo

5 answers to this question

Hi @canisio,

Pmod JF on the Zybo Z7-20 is an MIO Pmod, meaning that it is connected to the processing system/ARM core (PS) on the Zybo Z7 rather than the programmable logic (PL). You can choose in the Zynq IP in the MIO tab which peripherial type you want connected to the MIO pins associated with JF (only certain ones are connected, so for example for the Zybo Z7-20 only SPI1 has some MIO pin connections that work on JF whereas SPI0 does not).

You would then use the associated peripheral library like XGpioPs or XSpiPs to control these pins. You won't be able to add the Pmod itself to the block design, nor will you usually be able to directly use the Pmod libraries since they use AXI IP drivers, so some changes would need to be made to the Pmod library (since you can import it in SDK) in order for it to work with the MIO Pmod.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @canisio,

That is correct. MIO50 and MIO51 are connected to a couple of buttons on the Zybo Z7 (as I imagine you know), but then yes, you can use the XGpioPS drivers to control them. The preset for the Zynq IP block already sets MIO50 and 51 to GPIO, so you don't need to change anything in the block design itself. If you need it, Xilinx has an example on using XGpioPs here: https://github.com/Xilinx/embeddedsw/blob/master/XilinxProcessorIPLib/drivers/gpiops/examples/xgpiops_polled_example.c.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin