how to create a block ram in zedboard, vivado 2020.1?

skinnypanda

Question

In asic design, I just put a request into our libary person to build a RAM the size I need, and get a module back with some behavioral code underneath. Not sure how it works in zedboard/vivado.

I need a 4k x 16bit ram. and a much smaller 16 deep x 32bit wide ram.  i coded them for a read port and a write port, but I could combine into one port if that helps. It needs to run at 100mhz.

the 16x32 might be able to be built with flops. But I doubt the 4k block can be done in flops.  

do you just try to synthesize to see if flops will work?

reg [31:0] smallram [15:0];

reg [15:0] bigram [4095:0];

Are there some modules that let me instantiate the underlying ram cells in the zedboard? 

I tried googling for zedboard block ram and found somethign that generates ram blocks with axi interfaces? That was more complicated than I needed. I was hoping for a paramaterized module that lets me specify width and depth? and a straightforward write/read bus, not AXI interface. I don't even know what to google. do you call that  a block ram in vivado/zedboard speak?

If this is already answered/explained somewhere else, just point me to it and I'll go there.

thanks

2 answers to this question