Analog Discovery 2 - USB to Ethernet adapter usage inquiry

longboard

Question

Hello,

I am using a BeagleBone running Ubuntu without a Desktop. I installed the Linux version of the Adept runtime engine and am successfully controlling my Analog Discovery 2 via Python. However for my application it would me much more convenient to control the Analog Discovery 2 with Python using an Ethernet connection to the device. I have found micro USB to Ethernet adapters for sale and was curious if anyone had used something like that with an Analog Discovery 2?

Thank you

Sean

9 answers to this question

Thank you Attila. Its unfortunate that the microUSB to Ethernet adapter won't work with the AD2. I have recently purchased and just received a Pro 3450. I understand that I can control it via Ethernet using the WF SDK which is very good. However unfortunately this particular application doesn't have the necessary space for the Pro 3450 to fit. The AD2 on the other hand is the perfect size. So that is why I was trying to figure out a way to control the AD2 via Ethernet. But I appreciate your information and time.

Sean

Hi Attila, We may do as you suggest and use a dedicated SBC to allow for remote control of the A2D. But I was looking at the device manager on my Windows machine today and noticed that the AD2 appears as a "USB serial converter". My application does have both serial and Ethernet connectivity, its just USB that is not optimal in our application. So I was wondering if it might be possible to use a USB to serial adapter with the A2D for remote control. I am guessing that this probably wouldn't work but just wanted to ask.

Thank you

Sean

Hi Atilla,

So I think I am slowly understanding the situation better. The USB connection between the computer and the AD2 provides a combination of JTAG and parallel interface for the AD2 to function properly and has nothing to do with a serial interface?

Thank you again

Sean