What To Know When Using The Analog Discovery/failsafes(over-current Or Over-voltage)

Mathical

Question

Hello.

I just received my analog discovery in the mail and want to start using it but before I do I want to understand what things I need to know before using the device. In particular, does the discovery have built in protection for over-current draw and over-voltage?

What voltages/currents should never be used?

I don't want to fry my new instrument so please tell me all I need to know with that goal in mind.

For example, if I shorted the power supply strip or function generator pin, would the device be damaged or does it it have current limiting protectors built in?

1 answer to this question

Hello, and thank you for your question!

The Analog Discovery does have it's own protection against short-circuiting and drawing too much current. If you draw over 600mA, the Analog Discovery will stop on its own and a message will pop up notifying you that you were drawing to much current. You can then find the problem in your circuit and run the Analog Discovery again with no issues.

Note: When the warning dialog initially pops up, it will also give you an option to increase the 600mA limit to 1A.

As far as what currents/voltages to never use, the oscilloscope and voltmeter operate on a range of +/-25V. I would not recommend working with anything over that. In my use with the Analog Discovery, I have never come close to going over this threshold since most of the projects you can complete operate at 3.3V or 5V. 

Good luck with your new Analog Discovery and ask any other questions you may have!

-Will

Archived