Vitis removes drivers and hardware files during platform build

ivansavy

Question

Hello, I am using Vivado and Vitis 2020.2 to implement a simple MicroBlaze program with a custom IP.

The error I am encountering is, when I build my platform, the drivers\ folder and .bit and .mmi files in export\project_wrapper_name\hw\ are removed. I can visually witness them being removed from the platform just at the end of the build. Not having the drivers folder causes Vitis to return errors when I try to build my application. These errors are undefined reference for Xil_Out32() (I am writing to a register in my custom IP) and [makefile:38: application.elf] Error 1. Why does Vitis delete these items? For reference, I have successfully implemented projects with custom IPs on my Arty S7 and am following the same steps as with those projects (and the aforementioned files are in the hw\ folder as expected).

Thank you.

EDIT: For reference, I am adding #include "custom_IP.h" at the start of my application and using custom_IP_mWriteReg() to write to the register.

Edited by ivansavy

2 answers to this question

Including the xil_io.h header removes the error and allows me to successfully run the application. I assumed that my custom IP header contained all the necessary operations, but I traced them and there was no mention of the read/write operations. Looking at my other applications, they all include files which somehow trace to xil_io.h.