How to run scripts for AD2 from a command line terminal?

Brando Davalos

Question

Hello all,

Im part of an embedded software development team in BOSCH and currently we are using a Analog Discovery 2  for our rear view camera project, we just installed and connected the logic analyzers to read/write i2c and SPI data with the "protocol" window on Waveforms. We now want to begin automating the data acquisition such as message time, ACK/ NACK, clock stretching timing... The thing is that we want to do this without the need of the Graphical User Interface (WaveForms GUI), We want to be able to send I2C/SPI commands or trigger frames recordings from a python script or even from windows command line interface.

Is there any place were we can start/find some info on this/someone that can help us with this?

we are using version 3.16.3 of Waveforms.

Edited by Brando Davalos

2 answers to this question

Hi @Brando Davalos,

The WaveForms SDK, which is included as part of the WaveForms software download, is what you are looking for. There are a number of examples, including Python based examples, that come as part of the installation. You can learn more about it on it's Resource Center here: https://reference.digilentinc.com/software/waveforms/waveforms-sdk/start.

If you have any specific questions about the WaveForms SDK, feel free to ask them in the Test and Measurement section of the our Forum where the engineer most familiar with the WaveForms SDK will be able to see and respond to your questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi Brando 

1 )  Install the Digilent waveforms SDK  .

https://blog.digilentinc.com/waveforms-sdk-is-now-updated-to-include-python-3/

2)  Visit on your PC 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Digilent\WaveFormsSDK\samples\py

Here are a whole lot of python examples to control and use I2C & SPI with Analog Discovery AD2 .

I use Active Python , which I find gives the best results as most of the python components are actually fully tested and work. 

3)  If you have success or failure . post up a message on the forum showing your results.

Best wishes & Friendly greetings 

SIB.  

PS , I am AD2 user and not employee of Digilent.