CMOD s7 with Vivado 2021.1

PatrickTX

Question

While using Vivado 2021.1 with a CMOD s7, I do not see a COM port appear when the board is connected via micro-usb.  The FTDI drivers are installed, but no port appears in the Device manager, so Teraterm cannot open a connection. Did I miss something?

3 answers to this question

Hi @PatrickTX,

I presume that when you say the FTDI drivers are installed that you also mean that you installed the cable drivers as part of the Vivado installation (Xilinx answer record with some instructions here if you have not done that: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59128.html).

Since you mentioned a COM port, I'm guessing you are using Windows 10 with Vivado 2021.1? Does anything appear in the Windows device manager under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers dropdown when you connect the Cmod S7? Some other things to check would be to try a different USB cable (some cables are really only suited for charging and not data transfer) and potentially a different USB port on your computer.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
JColvin

Yes, I installed all of the cable drivers when installing Vivado. 

Nothing appears in the Device Manager when I connect the Cmod s7, neither as a COM port nor as a USB controller entry. I tried connecting a USB-to-serial adapter I had to the same USB port, and it appeared right away as COM3. So the port and the cable are ok.

I tried the Xilinx note 59128, but I can't get the batch file to execute under Powershell. I ran PS as admin, and executed the following:

.\install_drivers_wrapper.bat C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2021.1\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64 C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2021.1\install.log C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2021.1\

which logged this:

------------------------------------

INFO: Running digilent installer...

<<<<< Digilent Adept Runtime Setup >>>>>
Installer version: 1.5.8 release: 2018/06/22
Digilent Software Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Digilent

Your system is up-to-date with the components of this installer.
INFO: Running SmartLynq installer...
INFO: SmartLynq installed successfully
INFO: InstallPath="C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2021.1\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\"
windrvr6 is not installed (this is expected for Windows 10 and later)
INFO: Installing Windows 10 pcusb driver...
Microsoft PnP Utility

Processing inf :            xpcwinusb.inf
Driver package added successfully.
Published name :            oem83.inf

Total attempted:              1
Number successfully imported: 1

INFO: INF file C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2021.1\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\dlc10_win10\xpcwinusb.inf was successfully installed for driver.

-------------------------

However, the CMOD s7 still does not appear as a COM port or USB item.

Any ideas?

Ah, I tried swapping out the USB cable for a new one and presto. Not quite sure why the other cable did not work with the CMOD s7 and did work with the USB-to-serial adapter, but maybe just a flaky connection in there somewhere.