Problem implementing baremetal microblaze example on Arty S7-25 using Vivado 2021.1

Troglobyte

Question

Hello

New to this forum and Microblaze.  I am trying to implement the bare-metal microblaze example as outlined in the "Microblaze quickstart guide".  I am using the Arty S7-25 development board with Vivado 2021.1.  I downloaded the support files from Digilent and am able to create the microcontroller project for this board.  When I try to run Implementation phase, I get the following error...

[DRC INBB-3] Black Box Instances: Cell 'system_i' of type 'system' has undefined contents and is considered a black box.  The contents of this cell must be defined for opt_design to complete successfully.

See vhdl code below from "system_wrapper" (file created for the example) - red text is the line the implementation fails on.

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;
library UNISIM;
use UNISIM.VCOMPONENTS.ALL;
entity system_wrapper is
end system_wrapper;

architecture STRUCTURE of system_wrapper is
  component system is
  end component system;
begin
system_i: component system
 ;
end STRUCTURE;

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks - project attached...

microblaze1.zip

1 answer to this question

Hi @Troglobyte,

It looks like your Block design does not have anything in it, though it seems you figured that out from based on your other forum thread:

For future reference though, Digilent has a guide on creating block designs for Vivado which includes both Microblaze and Zynq based designs available here: https://reference.digilentinc.com/programmable-logic/guides/getting-started-with-ipi.

Thanks,
JColvin