Genesys ZU heat sink fell off :( Part number?

dmeads_10

Question

Hey guys!

Just got my new AWESOME Genesys ZU board! Sadly, my heat sink has just fallen off. The little yellow square piece was not seated fully and when I went to press it down, the whole thing popped off! Nice to see that gleaming Ultrascale+ chip haha, but I would like a working heat sink :)

Is there a replacement part number for this? I need the sticky thermal pad stuff (which I am assuming is generic?), and the  yellow clip.

Thanks!

Edited by dmeads_10

6 answers to this question

Hi @dmeads_10,

I asked about this and was provided the attached datasheet; I was told though that you might have some trouble being able to source this, or at least I wasn't personally able to find the any sort of exactly matching part on the manufacturers website (or at least the list of heatsinks for Xilinx chipsets doesn't list a SFVC784 package, http://www.malico.com.tw/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=416&Itemid=148&lang=en) though the datasheet does provide all of the dimensions of the part.

The thermal paste should be generic as far as I understand though.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

HBF23031-16_1.5Y+T710 A1.pdf

Thanks @JColvin!

I did some digging and found this one on Jameco, https://www.jameco.com/z/INL23001-13-1-7BU-T725-Radian-Platefin-Heat-Sink-BGA-23mm-Aluminum-Top-Mount-Clip-On_2313479.html

it is not the same color but is very close to original size and should be okay. I will just screw the fan into the new one and if it works i will mark it as a solution. 

Can't help myself from making an observation or two about this post.

Without the proper thermal conductivity analysis, and a bit of knowledge, it's quite possible to make things worse by slapping a "looks like" hunk of metal onto the top of your FPGA and declaring victory. Even if you know what the heck you are doing it isn't a guarantee that you can do development without worrying thermal considerations. This is especially true for boards that are not specifically designed.. and specified to support the full capabilities of the FPGA device.

Modern FPGA devices have a means for monitoring internal substrate temperature. It's not there as puffery. If you are using one of these devices you'd be wise to take advantage of that facility, whether you think that your design is pushing the limits or not.

I'm only posting this because the accepted 'solution' and entire thread doesn't mention anything relevant to the expected analysis.

Further thoughts.

I have the KC705 that comes with a heat-sink plus fan but Xilinx simply doesn't provide a part number for it. I did manged to find what looks to be the part from Radian.

Recently, I've been working with the NetFPGA-1G-CML that uses the same K325T but in the FFG676 package. The board doesn't come with any thermal management. I had a passive heat sink, similar to the part linked to above, that appears to be from Radian ( probably got it from Jameco years ago ). Without any heatsink the FPGA gets quite toasty to the touch.  I was measuring an average substrate temperature of around 63C for a very small test project using XADC. With the passive heatsink attached ( it came with a sticky pad attached ) but no forced airflow there wasn't much improvement after the heat-sink warmed up to a stead-state temperature. There is just minimal convection air-flow generated by these types of heat-sinks. With a fan blowing over it at low speed ( i.e. non-intrusive fan noise ) the average substrate temperature was down by about 30C. None of this information is shocking but it's easy to be fooled into a blissful state when you aren't looking for critical conditions.

The XADC has programmable alarms so, again, I highly recommend using that feature for any Series7 project work and monitoring vital signs for distress. It's quite easy to implement the XADC primitive and send readings out from a UART or to an LCD periodically with minimal logic for HDL coding effort.

Edited by zygot

On 7/18/2021 at 7:45 AM, zygot said:

Without the proper thermal conductivity analysis, and a bit of knowledge, it's quite possible to make things worse by slapping a "looks like" hunk of metal onto the top of your FPGA and declaring victory.

@zygot

Yes good point, perhaps i should explain what I did better. I only used the Blue plastic piece from the heat sink part number above. When the original yellow clip came broken and the entire thing came off,  I unscrewed the fan, and cleaned the old thermal pad off from the original passive aluminum piece. When the new one arrived, I only used the clip from it (because I couldn't find the separate clip part, only heatsink+clip together), however used the original passive heatsink itself, and screwed the fan back on. 

On 7/23/2021 at 10:39 AM, zygot said:

The XADC has programmable alarms so, again, I highly recommend using that feature for any Series7 project work and monitoring vital signs for distress. It's quite easy to implement the XADC primitive and send readings out from a UART or to an LCD periodically with minimal logic for HDL coding effort.

Also good point, I will keep this in mind. Thanks.