Which versions of Vivado support the zybo Z7?

tsbw83

Hi @tsbw83,

My understanding is that all versions of the Vivado software are compatible with both variants of the Zybo Z7.

If it makes a difference to you though, not all of the demo materials that Digilent has available for the Zybo Z7, https://reference.digilentinc.com/programmable-logic/zybo-z7/start#example_projects, have been updated and confirmed to be working with every version of Vivado. I believe the latest version that the demo materials were updated for was 2020.1 based on our GitHub releases for the projects: https://github.com/Digilent/Zybo-Z7/releases.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

Thank you! This already helps that I know that 2020.1 will work. I asked this question, because I was not able to add the board_files folder/content to the vivado 2021.1 version. The folder didn't exist, and creating it myself did not help. Anyhow, I will test the 2020 version tomorrow and report.

Br

Tom

Hi @tsbw83,

I was able to simply create a new folder called board_files in the Xilinx\Vivado\2021.1\data\boards folder and then add in the Digilent board files. Freshly opening Vivado after that let me see the Digilent board files as expected. I'll request that the associated Digilent board file installation tutorial is updated to reflect this.

Thanks,
JColvin

• 2 months later...

Hi @JColvin,

I tried to add the folder to Viado 2021.1, but it seems like Genesys2 is missing from both board selection and tcl board selection (gives a part not found error). Is Genesys2 not supported in new Vivados anymore? If so, which version of Vivado should I use?

btw it showed up for a brief time as "downloadable" in board selection UI after one refresh, then disappeared forever after I clicked download. 

Thank you,

NAP64

Hi @NAP64,

The Genesys 2 has been supported in Vivado for some time. Based on what you described of the "part not found" error, there are two things that I think could have happened.

One is when you initially downloaded Vitis+Vivado 2021.1, the Kintex-7 box was left unchecked during the installation process. You can see what parts you have included for that particular version of the Vivado via the Xilinx information Center.

The other would be that if you added the Digilent Board files (available for download here: https://github.com/Digilent/vivado-boards) but didn't restart the Vivado GUI, the boards won't show up there either.

Let me know if neither of those options worked for you.

Thanks,
JColvin

While Vivado 2020.2 has more than it's fair shares of bugs and nasty surprises you can indeed use it to do development for the Genesys2. When you purchased the board you should have received a voucher for a node-locked device license in the box. The license is good for the K325T n other packages as well. 

The device node-locked licenses are perpetual on the machine that they are installed on but only allow 1 year of updates. That is, if you use the voucher for Vivado 2020.x then you can also use it for any new versions up to 1 year from when you initially use it. You can use Vivado 2020.x for as long as your PC lives. The licenses seem to work with previous tool versions as well.

Hi, zygot_san,

I entered the license No. (xxxx-xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx) of Genesys2-voucher into “Have a Voucher to Redeem?”, then push [Redeem Now] on the Product Licensing page, XILINX.

However, the synthesis-error of [Common 17-345] is still occurred.

Please let me know the solutions about this issue.

I did not do the “3. Generate a FLEX license file for your product.” Please let me know this procedure, if my issue is related not to do this procedure.

Thanks.

T. Tamanuki

Hi @Takemasa Tamanuki,

I don't know what you have already attempted, but normally if you have license file (it usually has a .lic extension) you can open up the Xilinx Information Center, select the Manage Installs tab, and click on the Manage Licenses button to open the Vivado License Manager. You should then be able to click on the Load License option (or Obtain License as appropriate) to then copy the .lic file into the correct folder that Xilinx needs it in.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin