[Zybo z720] Without using the Pcam 5C, is it possible to use hdmi tx to connect the camera?

VerticalFarmingStudent

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi @VerticalFarmingStudent,

if it is possible to connect the zybo z720 with normal camera, not pcam 5c

It is possible to do yes, but the main catch is that you would need to find or create a design that correctly communicates with the registers and general circuitry on the camera of interest. It may also be possible to create a Linux OS to load onto the Zybo Z7 and then load drivers available from the manufacturers website. Digilent has some OS materials for Petalinux available here, but they are all several years old at this point and I am not anticipating that they will be updated to a newer version anytime soon.

I also would like to know how the vivado block diagram and vitis code looks like.

I'm not sure if you are talking about the design for the a HDMI camera or just in general, but either way there are a number of resources that may be helpful for you; note that a number of these links will still be using the Pcam 5c as part of the design. Link1, Link2, Link3, Link4. For setting up a block design in general, you can follow this guide: https://reference.digilentinc.com/programmable-logic/guides/getting-started-with-ipi.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @VerticalFarmingStudent,

Yes and no.

Is it possible to do? Yes.
Is there an already created design that I can point you towards that you can run with no modifications to the project? No, not that I am aware of; almost all Zynq and camera based designs that I have seen are done in an Linux OS; which you can set up on a Windows OS through either dual booting or a virtual machine.

I did find some more links regarding using a Zynq based platform and computer vision which may be of interest to you though: Link1, Link2, Link3.

Thanks,
JColvin