Genesys ZU-3EG SATA and Petalinux

mark.smith

Question

I am trying to use a mSATA drive with the Genesys ZU-3EG.

I have attached couple of pictures showing how I currently have SATA configured for the Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC. I am using a 150 MHz input frequency. Is this correct?

I am using Petalinux 2020.2.

When the mSATA drive inserted and the board is powered on, this is continually printed:

[   23.591042] ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 1 SControl 330)

[   25.819048] ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 1 SControl 330)

I had some issues with the SD card and Ethernet that I was able to fix by modifying my system-user.dtsi with the sdhci1 and gem0 here:

https://github.com/Digilent/Genesys-ZU-OOB-os/blob/d5bbfcc8647172597fc5806f6e44c6a17ce258a2/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/device-tree/files/system-user.dtsi

Are there any other changes I need to make?

I have also found this Xilinx forum post with a similar issue to mine:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/Custom-zcu102-2020-1-SATA-link-down-SStatus-1-SControl-330/td-p/1143816

I have played around with modifying  psu_init.c a little, but I have not been able to get SATA working yet.

Can anyone please provide help to get SATA working for me?

Thank you,

Mark

SATA Setup 1.PNG

SATA Setup 2.PNG

5 answers to this question

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, we only tested (m)SATA with 2019.1 and it looks to me that Xilinx changed the GTR calibration procedure in the FSBL since then. I suggest using 2019.1 with the Genesys-ZU-OOB-os/hw repos, which is the supported version.

In the mean time we will investigate how the GTR link training changes affect SATA in 2020.1.

May I ask what other issues needed fixing in the devicetree?

On 6/24/2021 at 2:41 PM, elodg said:

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, we only tested (m)SATA with 2019.1 and it looks to me that Xilinx changed the GTR calibration procedure in the FSBL since then. I suggest using 2019.1 with the Genesys-ZU-OOB-os/hw repos, which is the supported version.

In the mean time we will investigate how the GTR link training changes affect SATA in 2020.1.

May I ask what other issues needed fixing in the devicetree?

Hi, I'm using 2019.2 and I'm facing the exact same problem. Do you have a fix for this or the only way is to go back to 2019.1?

I tested with Genesys ZU 3EG that mSATA does not work when I use 2020.1 and Genesys-ZU-OOB-os/hw repos, do you have any advice?

I disabled the PCIe and enabled mSATA.

It gives the same error as above: "[   21.854608] ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 1 SControl 330)".

What would be the best solution to proceed?

On 11/7/2021 at 9:38 AM, daniel.tisza said:

I tested with Genesys ZU 3EG that mSATA does not work when I use 2020.1 and Genesys-ZU-OOB-os/hw repos, do you have any advice?

I disabled the PCIe and enabled mSATA.

It gives the same error as above: "[   21.854608] ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 1 SControl 330)".

What would be the best solution to proceed?

Hi Daniel

I think I fixed that long time ago, but I've been out of service for a few months. Please check out this device tree, which, IIRC, will let you use mSATA. Your best bet is to compare against yours the sections related to PCIe and mSATA, don't use this DTS blindly as we don't know if it'll work perfectly with your set up.

GenesysZU.dts