Arty S7-50 MicroBlaze Configuration

ivansavy

Question

Hello, I am following the "Getting Started with the Vivado IP Integrator" tutorial using the Arty S7-50 with Vivado 2020.2, though when I attempt to create the hardware (.xsa) file I receive the error

WARNING: [Project 1-645] Board images not set in Hardware Platform

and when I attempt to debug the program in Vitis I receive the error

Executables selected for download on to the following processors doesn't exist or incorrectly specified. Do you wish to ignore them and proceed? 1. microblaze_0.

I have the arty-s7-50 board files in the Vivado new board files directory as per the tutorial, though it looks like the revision is for B.0 and I have revision E.0. Does the revision discrepancy prevent Vivado from creating the board image? Thank you.

2 answers to this question

Hi @ivansavy,

Normally when I encounter the Executables selected for download error don't exist, I normally have to rebuild the project (CTRL+B). I don't believe there are any differences between the Rev B and Rev E of the Arty S7, so you shouldn't need to change board files (there isn't a Rev E board file for the Arty S7 50 anyways.

I know some recent changes were made to the Getting Started with the Vivado IP Integrator Guide and it looks like the steps are a bit out of order so I'll go through the tutorial as written (rather than by memory) and see if I can readily replicate the same errors that you are receiving so I can make sure the appropriate details are in the guide.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hey @JColvin, thanks for taking a look at this post. Your solution worked: I added the "main.c" file, built the program, programmed the FPGA, and ran the debugger and the board performed as expected. Regarding the tutorial, everything does appear in the correct order, the only step that could possibly be added is rebuilding the program (like you suggested) after adding the "main.c" file. Thanks again for your help.