Zybo z7 QSPI Flash Programming

Manovikas

Question

Hi Team,

I'm working on zybo z7010 evaluation board, now i'm trying to program the qspi flash through vivado lab edition tool 2020.3. 
1. I have created the bitstream for zybo board in vivado 2020.2 and application project in vitis 2020.2.
2. In vivado lab edition tool i have generated the memory configuration file 
3. I have added that configuration file and tried to program the flash device(Spansion s25fl128s-3.3v-qspi-x1-single) 
4. I can able to program the fpga, and my current boot mode is JTAG.
5. Every time i'm getting the error message as follows
Problem in Initializing Hardware
Flash programming initialization failed.
ERROR: [Labtools 27-3161] Flash Programming Unsuccessful
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'program_hw_cfgmem' failed due to earlier errors.

If anyone having idea on how to program the qspi flash it would be helpfull.

Thanks and regards,
Manovikas 

1 answer to this question

Hi @Manovikas,

I haven't used the 2020.3 version of the Xilinx tools as they only added support for some Versal devices (and recommend to use 2020.2 if you're not using some of those devices).

In terms of programming the QSPI flash so that a program runs on start-up on the Zybo Z7-10, I tested and did the following in Vivado and Vitis 2020.2.

- Create a simple project in Vivado that will also use Vitis and generate the bitstream for it (no generation of memory configuration file in Vivado required); I followed this tutorial: https://reference.digilentinc.com/programmable-logic/guides/getting-started-with-ipi.
- After building the project in Vitis (as described in the above tutorial, keeping the generate boot components box checked), click on the Xilinx tab at the top of Vitis and choose the Create Boot Image option and choose to create an image from Import from existing BIF file keeping the pre-populated options.
- Click on the Xilinx tab again and chose Program Flash Memory.

There is some more details on the flash memory details on this Xilinx page.

After programming the flash memory on the Zybo Z7, you'll need to power cycle the board (with the QSPI jumper set of course) for the boot image to be loaded.

Thanks,
JColvin