Brand New Basys 3 User -- Can't get Vivado to see it

Steve Ives

Question

I just received my Basys 3 board and I am trying to test out my configuration.  I am using Vivado 2020.2 (the latest).  When I open the Hardware Manager it can't seem to see my board.  I loaded, unloaded, loaded, unloaded and loaded 2020.2 three times.  I running the 'blinky' example and I can't get Vivado to see my Basys3 board.

When I plugged in the Basys 3 I see the 7 segment displays cycling through the count.  I see the pushbuttons effect each segment. I see the center pushbutton resets the count to zero.  I think the board is fine.

I move the jumper to JTAG programming and ... nothing.  When I open the Hardware Manager and select Auto Detect if finds a local host with nothing below or under it.  Thus, I cannot proceed to program the device.

I am searching for a second Micro USB cable but I suspect that won't solve the problem.

Oh, I've used the constraints file recommended by Digilent and I was able to select Basys 3 as my default board.  So, I think I am doing that right.

I am curious if anyone has used Vivado 2020.2.  Should I go back to an earlier version?  If so, which version?

Lastly, I did get a license from Xilinx.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerly,

Steve

5 answers to this question

Hi @Steve Ives,

It sounds like you have done all of the installation correctly. I'm guessing you installed the cable drivers with your system (I'm not certain what OS you are using). I'm not certain what you mean by "license from Xilinx"; you should not need any license to use the Basys 3 with the Xilinx tools. The board itself is working

The second cable is what I would recommend trying and seeing if the board appears in the Device Manager (if you are using Windows) or through lsusb.

If that does not work and you have just gotten the Basys 3, I would recommend working to get an RMA for the board; either through Digilent if you bought it directly from us, or through one of our distributors if you bought it from them.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks JC.  I see in one of the App Notes to go to Xilinx and request a license.  I didn't do that the first time or second.  Third time, I did it.  I also found an installation note that speaks to a version closer to the latest 2019.1, I believe.  That's where I saw 'Help -> Obtain a License Key' step.  

I am using Windows 10 Pro (not sure which iteration). 

I expect a second Micro USB cable soon.  I am intrigued by looking in the 'Device Manager', which I shall do.  I was curious if there was a simple program/app that one could download to confirm the board's connection and operation; independent of Vivado. 

I may appear as a Guest on this post.  For some reason, Digilent is allowing me to log in.  Was it something I said?

Steve

Hi @Steve Ives,

An easy way to test if the board is working would be to use the Digilent Adept software, https://digilent.com/reference/software/adept/start (the download will take you to the Digilent MyProducts page which will ask you to log in; if you have a Digilent store account, this will be the exact same login). You'll be able to see if the Basys 3 is successfully detected by the software.

In the Windows Device Manger, upon connecting the Basys 3 you should be able to a USB Serial Converter A and a USB Serial Converter B appear under the Unversial Serial Bus controllers dropdown. If you look in the Properties pane in the Details tab and look at the "Bus reported device description" dropdown in the Property dropdown, it should say "Digilent USB Device".

Thanks,
JColvin

image.png

JC,

I received a new Micro USB cable and I am making progress.  I now see what I should be seeing under 'Device Manager.'   I also see that the Adept App connects.  

So, thank you very much.  It appears that my first Micro USB Cable was deficient. 

Steve