Analog Discovery 2 USB Communication Timeout/Issues

cwatt

Question

I have been using a new Analog Discovery 2 that was received a couple of weeks ago.  For the last two weeks, I have been experiencing USB connection issues.  When I can communicate with the device through Waveforms (which is very difficult to even get a connection to the device), the communication does not last very long until I receive an error message (see below).  The device disconnects from the computer, no longer shows up in Device Manager,  and will not reconnect by itself.  I have to unplug and re plug in the device until it hopefully reconnects.

I unplugged all connections to the device and disconnected all other USB devices connected to the computer.  I have tried multiple computers (Windows 10 and macOS), multiple USB cables, external 5V supply to device, and different USB ports with the same inconsistent connection issues.  The device was only used to measure digital channels and Channel Scopes of a STM32 Nucleo64 board that is powered via USB.

image.png.6d825a1441e5cd159e37bc6b7b161c71.png

Device information when the connection is made between device and computer:

image.thumb.png.a78efc2a8768eae0f2644dce0b09055f.png

image.png.b6ea102c215c602a5a93dd70aa686be6.png

Edited by cwatt
Additional Information

4 answers to this question

Hi @cwatt

While I am not the authority on this, I also had a similar problem on my Ubuntu Linux machine (same error on my AD2).

I changed my USB cable to an Amazon Basic USB cable but alas, the error still came back (but was less frequent).

I finally replaced my cheap USB hub with this one [1] and the problem never occurred again.  My guess (and maybe a EE can better comment) is that this error has something to do with the "quality" of the USB signal going into the device.

[1]: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V6ADRQC

Hi @attila

Thank you for your response.  Working with the AD2 today, it is not recognized by Waveforms any longer, including using the "My device is not listed" option.

Do you recommend that this AD2 go through the process of warranty replacement (purchased April 12, 2021)?