Arty Z7-10 vs Arty-Z7-20

Antonio Fasano

Question

Hi, Guys,

I have a design that runs well in the many Arty-Z7-20 units I have purchased so far.

I am trying to buy more of the ARTY-Z7-20 but Digilent is out of stock. Is there any way I can make sure that my project will run flawlessly in the ARTY-Z7-10 as it does in the  ARTY-Z7-20 ?

Thanks

Antonio

3 answers to this question

What are your concerns?

As far as I can tell the only difference between the Z10 and the Z20 in the SoC and both use the same architecture and technology, everything else is the same. If your project fits and passes timing on the Z10 fabric it will work. If you use a single thread the CPU code will be the same.

OFC it is not a complete 100% guarantee. Those things don't exist in reality.

In general, you don't need to really buy to have Vivado (or Vitis HLS) run their magic. If they tell you everything is fine, odds are they are right (except when they're cathastrophically wrong, but it's kinda rare).

Hello,

@MaxDZ8 is correct. If Vivado/Vitis is able to successfully able to generate a bitstream and get Vitis to successfully build the application for the Z7-10 variant without otherwise changing anything from the known working Z7-20 version, then that will be probably be one of the better litmus tests that you can do without the actual hardware.

I also inquired about the out of stock status for the Arty Z7-20 and learned that we do not currently have a date for when they will be back in stock, though it looks like a number of our distributors still have the Z7-20 variant available.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived