Need Help with TCP echo example and USB examples on Cora Z7 (7s)

DelmasRanger

Question

I'm new to the whole PL SL scene . I am working through plenty examples to tech my self how to code and get the most from this board . However no matter how much googling I do , I cant find a TCP/IP example that I know works on this board , i.e I assume the ZYNQ-7 series examples should all be compatible to a degree, yet no luck when implementing the example code  . I've tried plenty , could someone who has a functioning TCP/IP project on this setup share it with me so that I can trace the cause of my issues . Like wise I cant get any USB host examples to work on my board , so any help there with a suited example would be apricated . 

Thanks !

7 answers to this question

Thanks , yea, just too may errors to mention here so I'll pick a specific TCP IP example and run with that in this thread . It seems that most errors I get is when taking the 2018 example IP and code , and import it into 2020 that there is some forward compatibility issues , even when running the update wizards  . Some times the project/source code files cant find headers that are in the library even when all directory's are appropriately assigned . So it would be great if someone has a TCT/IP example project they can share ,already configurated for 2020 Vivado /Vitus, deployed and tested on the Cora Z7  ,  and then I can intuitively work back from there .

One thing I hope the community could help me find is where the USB A/B sockets are wired to as the schematics shows USB -A wired to IC-3 , but what about the USB-B host ? I assume its on sheet 6 of 11 on the Cora Z7 schematics , but those flying leads don't have corresponding terminal markers , same as with the UART leads on page 7.  

Thanks in advance

Hello Delmas, I would ask: what have you tried?

But really, help us help you. What issues are you having?

Does the host app compile? Do you get link errors? Something involving makefiles?

As far as I can tell, Vitis examples don't even know what boards they'll be running on and they add a lot of useless cruft such as the I2C handshake which shouldn't be there (and it isn't compiled as it's guarded by #ifdefs).

Do you get to at least complete PHY initialization?

Edited by MaxDZ8
I really meant to write another thing.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:31 AM, DelmasRanger said:

It seems that most errors I get is when taking the 2018 example IP and code , and import it into 2020 that there is some forward compatibility issues , even when running the update wizards  . Some times the project/source code files cant find headers that are in the library even when all directory's are appropriately assigned . So it would be great if someone has a TCT/IP example project they can share ,already configurated for 2020 Vivado /Vitus, deployed and tested on the Cora Z7  ,  and then I can intuitively work back from there .

I can't help with the USB issue but I sure can help with this.

The whole Vivado/Vitis "project" thing is a utter nonsense. I try to convince myself it makes sense on a different mentality but no, "projects" in Vivado are a joke! Vitis is sorta better but I wouldn't say it qualifies as "decent". Don't even try importing anything which is more than a version old, this works only sometimes and the malfunctions can be non-obvious to say the least!

Vitis comes with its own examples. When you create your application project, select "TCP/IP echo client" as test. Again, you'll need to fiddle with it. I have obtained my client from the example - it works on the Arty and I expect it'll work on the Cora since the ethernet subsystem very similar.

You don't need to configure anything on Vivado to use TCP: everything you need is already in hardware on the Zynq, just importing the PS7 IP (and the related circuitry) and you'll be set.

Is it clear to you how the Vivado -> Vitis interfacing goes?

Great , so its not me being completely incompetent . Because to me allot of the issues seems on the back end , like you said , somewhere in modifying and passing on info things get lost , on the front end I just see compiler errors like "cant make file .. " or error "reading link file  ", which give me nothing to work with to resolve the problem . As you said ,most of my success is starting new projects from scratch . the catch is I am to lazy to code everything from the ground up and I don't want to give up now . I have had some experience with the NiRIO in a lab setting . My brain is wired like a FPGA as logic never follows a sequential approach , so I really like coding in Verilog . Any how , my reason for going down this route is that I need build a machine controller , which has all the bells and whistles for coms , telemetry and process control , whilst on the PL side have real time computational power for modulating a power source based on closed loop feedback from the ADC . So far I can only see examples of the XADC residing in SL , is there a way to access the XADC from the PL side , I do understand that on the low-level end  there is more to it then just comparator channel reading , but is there a way to keep the PL-SL XADC as short as possible so that i can use the analog signals allot quicker ?

I will start the TCP IP project this weekend , just tried rolling back to vivado 2018.2 to see if I can gain ground like that . 

Thanks for the support !

So the errors I get is :

Description    Resource    Path    Location    Type
make: *** [makefile:38: TCPNEW.elf] Error 1    TCPNEW             C/C++ Problem
make: Target 'all' not remade because of errors.    TCPNEW             C/C++ Problem
undefined reference to `__bss_end__'    TCPNEW        line 430, external location: d:\xilinx\vitis\2020.2\gnu\aarch32\nt\gcc-arm-none-eabi\x86_64-oesdk-mingw32\usr\libexec\arm-xilinx-eabi\gcc\arm-xilinx-eabi\9.2.0\real-ld.exe: \usr\src\debug\libgloss\3.1.0-r0\newlib-3.1.0\libgloss\arm\crt0.S    C/C++ Problem
undefined reference to `__bss_start__'    TCPNEW        line 430, external location: \usr\src\debug\libgloss\3.1.0-r0\newlib-3.1.0\libgloss\arm\crt0.S    C/C++ Problem

On 4/23/2021 at 12:27 PM, DelmasRanger said:

So far I can only see examples of the XADC residing in SL , is there a way to access the XADC from the PL side

Sure.

As start, open vivado and in the language templates you can search for xadc. You will find a snippet for verilog instantiation. I do NOT claim to understand it right away.

See UG480; it includes a more elaborated example.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:15 PM, DelmasRanger said:

undefined reference to `__bss_end__'    

Uhm, are you sure your platform project compiled correctly? How did you get there?

Like you said , The projects had to be built up from the ground up . And I also think I made a mistake in using common shared project folder instead of clearing them between try's . After all of that I got the TCP examples to work . 

I guess my problem is that I want to fast track my understanding  so  that I can get right to doing the actual project work I want to do . 

My next hurdle is the getting the XADC to work on DRP , looking at the various forums it seems like there is more than one way to initialize this and some boards have add-ons that make it easer to configure/interface with . Is the a example for doing very basic analog based condition handling in Verilog ? Some of the best examples i come across seems to be shared coarse work , but the problem there is that not all the source code or device configurations is available to give context to the example . I'll check the example you are referring to . 

Thanks again for your help and patients .