Hi! a.k.a Halp, I'm lost :)

i2pi

Question

Hi,

I recently purchased a Nexys Video board as my first introduction to the world of FPGAs. I've done embedded development before on ARM/PIC/HC11/etc. and even PAL/CPLDs back in the day, but Verilog is new to me. As is the Xlinix software ecosystem.

I'm trying to get the Nexys Video HDMI demo running on my board. I've been able to successfully generate the bitstream and program a basic example on the board, but I'm getting lost where the documentation talks about using Xilinx SDK. I believe I need to use the SDK to load the programs that runs atop the microblaze implementation.

It appears that things have changed in the Vivado/SDK/Vitis ecosystem since the documentation was written for the HDMI examples, so I'm lost.

I'm running on a linux laptop. I started off with just Vivado 2020.2, and was able to generate the bitstream and program the device with the hdmi_wrapper code. However, I had no idea how to load the C code that interfaces with it. I downloaded Xilinx SDK 2019.1, but nothing in the README.md file seemed to match what I was seeing. I now have installed the latest version of Vitis, and am equally lost.

Any assistance would be deeply appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh

5 answers to this question

4 hours ago, i2pi said:

Hi,

I recently purchased a Nexys Video board as my first introduction to the world of FPGAs. I've done embedded development before on ARM/PIC/HC11/etc. and even PAL/CPLDs back in the day, but Verilog is new to me. As is the Xlinix software ecosystem.

I'm trying to get the Nexys Video HDMI demo running on my board. I've been able to successfully generate the bitstream and program a basic example on the board, but I'm getting lost where the documentation talks about using Xilinx SDK. I believe I need to use the SDK to load the programs that runs atop the microblaze implementation.

It appears that things have changed in the Vivado/SDK/Vitis ecosystem since the documentation was written for the HDMI examples, so I'm lost.

I'm running on a linux laptop. I started off with just Vivado 2020.2, and was able to generate the bitstream and program the device with the hdmi_wrapper code. However, I had no idea how to load the C code that interfaces with it. I downloaded Xilinx SDK 2019.1, but nothing in the README.md file seemed to match what I was seeing. I now have installed the latest version of Vitis, and am equally lost.

Any assistance would be deeply appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh

hello, 

uninstall V2019.1. 

if your vivado design is V2020.2. After bit Stream generation, try to export your design from file system and then launch SDK from the File system of vivado. 

Xilinx softwares are version control. 

2 hours ago, iyer25 said:

hello, 

uninstall V2019.1. 

if your vivado design is V2020.2. After bit Stream generation, try to export your design from file system and then launch SDK from the File system of vivado. 

Xilinx softwares are version control. 

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if I fully understand. The example project references Vivado 2018.2. Should I uninstall 2020.2 and install 2018.2 of Vivado and SDK?

The default installation of Vivado 2020.2 should have come with Vitis 2020.2 as well.

Anyway, you're supposed to clone the Software repo for your board and then checkout the HDMI/next branch.

For some reason there's no workspace folder called ws in this repo branch but you can just create it yourself. Launch Vitis and use the ws directory as your workspace.

image.png.58e334abd78fb3861b83f6530fffb7c7.png

You can just close the Welcome page that Vitis opens with empty workspace directories.

image.thumb.png.3003d5d666b6228bceb9febe78388aef.png

Then go to Xilinx -> XSCT Console and this will open a console on the bottom right side of Vitis.

image.png.3ca7468d49d97596d70afc2565b35b1b.png

In that console type source [getws]/../src/checkout.tcl. This will generate a hardware platform and an application project from their sources.

Also what do you mean things have changed since the documentation was written for the HDMI examples ? The demo page for this particular example looks just about right.

6 minutes ago, thinkthinkthink said:

Also what do you mean things have changed since the documentation was written for the HDMI examples ? The demo page for this particular example looks just about right.

Thanks for the detailed response. I was using the instructions in the README of the GitHub as my instructions. I had downloaded the latest ZIP files, but was trying to follow along the instructions for 2018.2 (per GitHub).

I know it mentions it in a few spots, but I didn't realize how incompatible the releases were from each other. It was confusing to see that the latest release of the ZIP was for 2020, whereas the Getting Started With Vivado link from the Nexys Video page says that 2018.2 should be used.

Given the prior response to my question, I installed Vivado 2018.2 and followed the instructions in the README on GitHub, and it worked perfectly.

I still have 2020.2 installed. I'll try it again tomorrow following the "Using the Latest Release" drop down on the page you referred to.

I imagine that much of the confusion is on my end as a complete novice. It would, however, be helpful it that "Using the Latest Release" was automatically expanded and the GitHub README corresponded to that.

Again -- appreciate you pointing me in the right direction!

16 hours ago, thinkthinkthink said:

The default installation of Vivado 2020.2 should have come with Vitis 2020.2 as well.

Anyway, you're supposed to clone the Software repo for your board and then checkout the HDMI/next branch.

For some reason there's no workspace folder called ws in this repo branch but you can just create it yourself. Launch Vitis and use the ws directory as your workspace.

image.png.58e334abd78fb3861b83f6530fffb7c7.png

You can just close the Welcome page that Vitis opens with empty workspace directories.

image.thumb.png.3003d5d666b6228bceb9febe78388aef.png

Then go to Xilinx -> XSCT Console and this will open a console on the bottom right side of Vitis.

image.png.3ca7468d49d97596d70afc2565b35b1b.png

In that console type source [getws]/../src/checkout.tcl. This will generate a hardware platform and an application project from their sources.

I have just changed vivado version v2019.1 to v2020.2
I have upgarded the IP and re-generated the bit stream. Is there anything else I need to be carefull? 
I have issues while creating the petalinux project. 
error while building the device-tree. 

Before I just used hdf file to create the petalinux project and I have required output. 

now, same project has issues during petalinux project. 

I dont understand what I have missed to understand in the new version

Archived