Using Waveform Generator or Power supply signals in math.

maxwellfire

Question

Hey,

Is there a way to use the value of the arbitrary waveform generator output in a script? I'm interested in comparing the signal the waveform generator or power supply is outputting and a signal that I'm getting from the oscilloscope measurement. I can set the two instruments to share a trigger, so their values should theoretically be aligned and known right?

I could connect one of the scope inputs to the relevant output, but I don't have a scope input to spare (and just knowing what it thinks its outputting would be helpful.)

It would also be nice just to be able to show the wavegen waveform in the scope windows so I can see which events in the wavegen correspond to which events in the scope input.

If that can't be done, then can I somehow log the relevant values so I can do the calculations in an external software?

Thanks!
~Max

2 answers to this question

Hi @maxwellfire

The preview in the Wavegen is a preview for the configuration.
There is no internal loopback to capture Wavegen output. Beside the trigger and modulations, the output could be also influenced by bandwidth and load, so it would not be identical to actual output. The random is generated in the device...

You could wire and capture the Wavegen and Supply output in Scope with proper trigger and save it as Reference channel.
These you can use just like the normal captures in Math, Measurements, XY...

Hi attila,

Thanks for the response! I agree that the waveform commanded can be pretty different from the one actually output. I am interested more in the timing of the signals and what it was trying to output than of the exact value/distortion of the output waveform.

Wiring the output temporarily up to the system and using it as a reference waveform is a good idea! I think there's probably a complicated triggering setup where this won't work, but I don't have that problem, so it should work.

If I made a custom wavegen output signal, I could set it as both the wavegen output and as a scope reference signal. It would have been kinda nice to be able to change waveform parameters in real time and see the results, but I'll work with what we have.

Thanks!
~Max

Edited by maxwellfire