Will_SC

Question

Good Day Techies,

Some background information; I am currently using the SDK and I am running various test before I move forward using this AD2 on a major project. For most of the basic things this device works remarkably. Some questions I would love some insight on:

a. What is the maximum amount of Sample Points the Analog Discovery 2 can store/output for a Custom AWG?

- Using the API call FDwfAnalogOutNodeDataInfo it returns 4096 Samples as the Max Sample Count.

b. Is there any way that this can be increased?

c. If this can't be increased, is there a work around that can be used to store/output larger Custom AWG's?

d. For major real world applications is this an appropriate device or should one look into the Discovery Pro?

Thank you again for all of your assistance.

4 answers to this question

Hi @Will_SC

You can use the 3rd device configuration (index 2) which allocates 16k samples for Wavegen.
dwf.FDwfDeviceConfigOpen(c_int(-1), c_int(2), byref(hdwf))
https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/2004-ad2-continuous-digital-acquisition-speed-is-slow/#comment-44605

In case you want to stream unlimited samples at lower rate (<1MSps) see the WF SDK/ samples/ py/ AnalogOut_Play.py AnalogOutIn_PlayRecord.py examples
https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/19527-custom-generated-signal/?do=findComment&comment=53333

Hi @attila,

I was able to get the buffer count to 12K. Thank you. ?

There are a few thing that I am also trying to figure out:

My goal is to load a Custom Waveform(WF), have the  AD2 push this WF out into one of its Analog IN channels. 

I am recording the values back into a text file (for analytical purposes). I am observing that the values are never the same, starting values are always different, which has me confused. If the AD2 uses the WF provided why would it change if the source (Custom WF) doesn't change.

Is there a way to have the entire Custom Waveform returned from the same starting position (position within Custom WF) every time?

Thank you for all of your help.

AD2_BNC.jpg

Hi @Will_SC

This is how analog signals are. There is always an uncertainty in the values, like an accuracy of 100uV, 1mV, 10mV... depending on the conditions.
The DAC and ADC are not perfectly linear, noise could be injected in the amplification stages, transmission mediums...

The instruments in the device can be synchronized using the internal or external triggers, like: dwf.FDwfAnalogInTriggerSourceSet(hdwf, trigsrcAnalogOut1)

Archived