Arty Z7 - can't debug anymore, "Cannot access DDR: the controller is held in reset"

rt54321

Question

Hello All,

I seem to be going backwards in my testing with Vivado and the SDK.  I can no longer get into debugger mode with the SDK.  I have reverted to a known "good" design that DID program and debug yesterday, but today, this too gives me the same error when I try to debug it. 

My steps are:

1. "Build All" in the SDK

2. Program the FPGA (no problems here)

3. Click on Run->Debug As->Launch on Hardware (System Debugger)

I get a "Memory write error at 0x100000.  Cannot access DDR: the controller is held in reset"

----

After doing some research (Xilinx app note XAPP1026), I have added my project's "ps7_init.tcl" file as an Initialization File (under "Run Configurations").  Screenshot of my "Run Configurations" settings is attached.  With these settings, the program does launch in debug mode, but when I try to pause the program, I get a "Cannot suspend: TCF error report..." error.

This is SO frustrating - my archived projects used to work, and now they don't.  Is my board damaged?

Untitled.png

1 answer to this question

Okay, I *think* I have it working now.  Let me answer myself here, for documentation purposes (for anyone else who may have this problem):

1.  In the SDK, Go to "Run"-->"Run Configurations"

2. Under the "Target Setup" tab, find the "Initialization File" white bar.  Initially, my bar was blank (meaning no initialization file was used).  I have now ADDED my ps7_init.tcl file to this ( Your_project_directory\your_project_name.ip_user_files\mem_init_files\ps7_init.tcl )

3. Once the .tcl file is added, check the "Run ps7_init" and "Run ps7_post_config" checkboxes.

Screenshot of my working setup is attached for reference.

Untitled.png

Archived