Nexys3 Board

Question

Hello,

Actually I power my board via the USB cable...but the port through which I connect the USB has been loosen --' and I can't neither power the board nor program it...I think there is a sort adapter which can be used but I am unable to power it using it...and I think one can use pendrive by putting only the .bit file in it and thus carry out programming....Can anyone help????

3 answers to this question

Hi 1116345,

I presume that it is the USB micro port that you normally program your Nexys3 with through your computer that is loose.  You could potentially solder that port back onto the board, but I personally think that sounds rather difficult so I'll recommend a different way.

In order to power your board, I would recommend using a 5V "wall wart" power supply that you can connect to your barrel jack connector on your Nexys3. You would then change your jumper setting on JP1 to the "Wall" setting to power your board from the power supply, such as this one.

And yes, you are able to program your Nexys3 with a pendrive that has the appropriate .bit file on it. Based on the paragraph that spans between pages 2 and 3 of the Nexys3 Reference Manual, you will want to put jumper blocks on both M0 and M1 of J8 to indicate to your board that you will be programming from the USB HID (the big USB port) via a flashdrive. 

To actually program your board, you will want to connect your board to an appropriate source of power, put those jumper blocks on J8, insert your pendrive with the single .bit file, and then power-cycle the FPGA by hitting the Reset button. This will cause the FPGA to program itself with that bit file (as long as the .bit file is designed for the correct board).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

JColvin

I don't know where 1116345 is in the world, but at all the shopping malls here we have little one-man "cell phone repair" booths, where they can reflow the connector board with some hot-air tools. Given that the board is not in a case it should only take a couple of minutes....

Otherwise there might be a skilled hobbyist who can help you out - see if you can find a local ham radio or robotics club.

Archived