How to use UDP to send adc data based on Zmod1410_Demo_Baremetal

Question

Hello,

I am currently developing a project with the ZmodADC1410_Demo_Baremetal of Eclypse-z7. The development environment is vivado 2019.1.

I use the lwip software protocol stack in the SDK, RAW API mode, and I want to use UDP through the Ethernet port on the PS side. Send the adc data to the PC (only the data of channel 1), I have now completed the spectrum analysis of the collected data on the PL side based on the adc demo, and then sent the data to the sCH1in [13:0 ] Port of the ZmodADC1410AxiAdapter IP, now I have encountered difficulties in writing the PS-side program. I am confused about how to combine the adc data sent by udp and the adc demo.

Is there any relevant example for reference? If not, I hope Digilent can develop a demo for Eclypse-z7 to send adc data via udp.

Thank you to anyone that can help!

Edited by Huolande

8 answers to this question

On 3/3/2021 at 9:14 AM, Huolande said:

I am currently developing a project with the ZmodADC1410_Demo_Baremetal of Eclypse-z7

Since the Ethernet PHY is connected to the PS I suspect that you will have to be running some version of Linux OS on the PS. Interestingly, the SDK connects to the PS via Ethernet for the Eclypse-Z7 Linux demos. I haven't spent much time working with the Eclypse-Z7 Linux support but my impression is that this effort is more of a concept than an implementation. I suspect that your needs won't be met within the time frame of you project so you might need to work on plan B for PC connectivity. I'd certainly be encouraged to revisit the board if my suspicions turn out to be false and Digilent comes up with bare-metal Ethernet support. This is doable but requires quite a bit of effort that I've not seen in any of Digilent's demos.

Currently there are no ZYNQ based SYZYGY platforms that put all of the hardware to good use. Opal Kelly sells the BRAIN-1 that puts together an interesting custom Linux OS but that too is more concept than useful demo. It has a USB gadget support as an alternative to the Ethernet PHY which is nice but using the provided kernel there is no easy way to transfer data between the hardware and a PC. Also, you can't run the DAC demo and the ADC demo ( or any two demos for that matter ) at the same time. What it does do nicely is provide a way to configure the FPGA PL from the OS.

The Red Pitaya is another ZYNQ platform with ADC/DAC capabilities but more of an instrument product in the class of the Analog Discovery. While it has a much slicker and well thought out Ethernet connectivity actually transferring data between it and a PC is a problem. The truth is that this isn't something trivial to do even if you are very clever and experienced doing custom Linux OS builds for FPGA devices.

Unfortunately, both vendors have succeeded more in demonstrating how hard and complex using a ZYNQ is instead of showing off their nifty hardware and platform capabilities. Blame Xilinx for this.

Edited by zygot

Is baremetal a strong requirement or Linux OS is also acceptable?

I have a relatively simple application that sends ADC samples from Zynq-7000 via the Ethernet connection to a computer at 480 Mbit/s. This application runs under Linux OS. I can port this application to Eclypse-Z7.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:10 PM, Pavel said:

Is baremetal a strong requirement or Linux OS is also acceptable?

I have a relatively simple application that sends ADC samples from Zynq-7000 via the Ethernet connection to a computer at 480 Mbit/s. This application runs under Linux OS. I can port this application to Eclypse-Z7.

Of course, how can I get in touch with you? If so, can I take a look at your project? Thank you very much for your help.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:39 PM, zygot said:

Since the Ethernet PHY is connected to the PS I suspect that you will have to be running some version of Linux OS on the PS. Interestingly, the SDK connects to the PS via Ethernet for the Eclypse-Z7 Linux demos. I haven't spent much time working with the Eclypse-Z7 Linux support but my impression is that this effort is more of a concept than an implementation. I suspect that your needs won't be met within the time frame of you project so you might need to work on plan B for PC connectivity. I'd certainly be encouraged to revisit the board if my suspicions turn out to be false and Digilent comes up with bare-metal Ethernet support. This is doable but requires quite a bit of effort that I've not seen in any of Digilent's demos.

Currently there are no ZYNQ based SYZYGY platforms that put all of the hardware to good use. Opal Kelly sells the BRAIN-1 that puts together an interesting custom Linux OS but that too is more concept than useful demo. It has a USB gadget support as an alternative to the Ethernet PHY which is nice but using the provided kernel there is no easy way to transfer data between the hardware and a PC. Also, you can't run the DAC demo and the ADC demo ( or any two demos for that matter ) at the same time. What it does do nicely is provide a way to configure the FPGA PL from the OS.

The Red Pitaya is another ZYNQ platform with ADC/DAC capabilities but more of an instrument product in the class of the Analog Discovery. While it has a much slicker and well thought out Ethernet connectivity actually transferring data between it and a PC is a problem. The truth is that this isn't something trivial to do even if you are very clever and experienced doing custom Linux OS builds for FPGA devices.

Unfortunately, both vendors have succeeded more in demonstrating how hard and complex using a ZYNQ is instead of showing off their nifty hardware and platform capabilities. Blame Xilinx for this.

Thank you very much for your suggestions, and I will consider these options carefully.