Pro 3000 Series TDR instrument possible ?

nurber3

Question

Hi Forum.  Occasionally I've had need of a TDR, but not so much so that I wanted to buy a dedicated handheld unit or really expensive oscilloscope with such functionality.  Some years ago I saw that Red Pitaya implemented such an instrument with their hardware.  Looks to me like Pro 3000 hardware will be even more capable ( pulse generation and sampling rate ) so I wonder if there are plans to implement or it might be something fun to do ?

Sven

2 answers to this question

Hi @nurber3,

I haven't heard any plans about a Time-Domain Reflectometer (presuming that is what you mean by TDR), though the engineer most familiar with WaveForms and the Analog Discovery Pro hardware commonly checks this forum and will be able to see your inquiry about this (they are on a different timezone though so it may be a little while before they respond).

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks again for answering JColvin.  I'll keep an eye out.  One follow-up question is what resolution one could hope for using Pro 3000 hardware ?  Red Pitaya lists a resolution of 80cm which in my opinion is too large to be really useful.  I've included a link the their primer on the subject in case somebody is interested in an implementation.

Sven

Archived