Replacing/Repairing Electronics Explorer Breadboard

ebattaglia42

Question

I use the electronics explorer daily, and I'm always finding new features and abilities. It's a tool that I absolutely adore, and couldn't imagine prototyping without it anymore. Unfortunately, I know these devices have a lifespan as I've seen and used older boards with barely useable breadboards. 

Given that these devices are no longer being manufactured, is there any way that I could replace the two large breadboards on top to extend its lifespan? Will the glue release with enough heat?

I should mention that I know the analog explorer exists, but I massively prefer the ability to prototype without dupont-style jumpers, as it makes designs much neater and understandable. 

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Hi @ebattaglia42,

By Analog Explorer, I presume you are referring to the Analog Discovery Studio (Resource Center link)? I was under the impression that the ability to swap out different circuitry builds was a nice feature for it, though I can see how the jumper wires aren't as crisp, though they do match the color codes used within the WaveForms software.

To answer your question, since the two large breadboards in the center are just solderless breadboards and aren't connected to any of the circuitry, my understanding is that they should be replaceable. I do not know the details on the best way to replace them, though the engineer much more familiar with the Electronics Explorer who regularly checks this section of the Forum may be able to provide these details (they are on a different time zone though, so it may be a bit before they get a chance to respond).

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for the response @JColvin. I can see how the jumpers could be considered an improvement. The swappable design is definitely awesome, but so many of my designs are dependent upon semi permanent connections to the boards inputs, so its just so much sexier to have them all be small pre-cut jumpers.

I didn't know that the jumpers were color-coded - that's helpful. Did I also miss a way to access the oscilloscope inputs via jumpers? Cause that was one of the only other big cons the board had for me, for the same reasons.

Hi @ebattaglia42,

I apologize for the delay.

There are the 1x2 pin jumpers below each BNC connector for both the Oscilloscope and and Arbitrary WaveForm Generator connectors, if that is what you are looking for. Those MTE connectors are also differential unlike the BNC connectors. There is a slide switch so you can choose which connection style you prefer.

Let me know if you had any other questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived