Unable to find the board in Vitis project USB104 A7

ujur007

Question

I have Digilent board USB104 A7 and Arty-S7.

There is a problem in my Vitis project that when I do Xilinx->Program FPGA  the board can not be found. 

Hence, I plugged Arty-s7 board from digilent but I could see that board! 

I also installed the Drivers for FTPI chips as suggested in the reference manual of the board USB104 A7.

Could someone tell what could be a problem?

I am using Windows10 in a VM of ubuntu 20.04.

8 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, ujur007 said:

Could someone tell what could be a problem?

One possibility, if you are using WIn10, is letting the OS decide what the best driver for attached hardware is. You can prevent Win10 from automatically updating hardware drivers. Windows confusing FTDI equipped devices as Intel USB-Blaster devices is a big issue for me even though it shouldn't be.

I don't have a USB104 A7 so I can't replicate your specific problem.

Have you installed the latest Digilent JTAG support onto your Vitis installation?

I have installed drivers and for cable_driver folder and also installed Digilent adept. 

I am not sure what kind of drivers are needed to upload a bitstream, as far as I know I would need to install Digilent USB to serial device drivers means FTDI "Virtual com Port" drivers. It is also available as a separate download. 

I have tried and installed both kinds of drivers: Available in vivado installation(I think this is same as Digilent Adept) and also saperate .exe file !

5 hours ago, ujur007 said:

I am using Windows10 in a VM of ubuntu 20.04.

Sorry, I missed this part of your original post.

This complicated things. I'd start by tracking down what Ubuntu sees as devices.

Try lsusb -v and then dmesg | grep tty in a terminal window and see what's being reported as USB TTY device targets. I haven't tried running Win10 in a Ubuntu VM so hopefully someone else has more advice to offer.

8 hours ago, ujur007 said:

he Linux can identify the device and driver both! Windows can not identify USB104 A7 but it can identify arty-s7!

Well, while you are waiting for someone other than me to come up with an answer I guess you have some spelunking to do tracking down how VM under Ubuntu handles the tricky business of allowing a secondary OS access devices like USB endpoints. If you are going to to use Win10 within Ubuntu you might as sell have a sense of what's going on.

I'm curious as to why you, or anyone for that matter, would want to run Win10 as a VM to do FPGA development as the tools from both Intel and Xilinx work perfectly fine in Ubuntu.

Hi,

Actually, I was a beginner few months ago with Xilinx Vivado and attending some workshop regarding the same. The workshop was mainly based on Win10. Also, As I am running Ubuntu 20.04 could be that Vivado was not supported at that time!

I was doing the same to install Vivado on Ubuntu. Hopefully, It will work fine. 

Anyways seems fine till now.

Hi @ujur007,

We don't have a lot of specific advice with regards to virtual machines as Digilent hasn't specifically tested the different setups. Looking at the past Release Notes for the various versions of Vivado, it looks like Ubuntu 20.04 LTS wasn't officially compatible with Vivado 2020.2, so your thought on that software wasn't compatible could very well be the case.

Thanks,
JColvin

16 minutes ago, JColvin said:

t looks like Ubuntu 20.04 LTS wasn't officially compatible with Vivado 2020.2

I've installed the 2020.2 version of Vitis and Vivado onto Ubuntu 20.04 recently with no issues ( so far ). In fact I've installed Xilinx tools on a lot of 'unsupported' OSes ( and OS versions ). VMs are another ball of confusion. I'm sure that there are uses for running software in a VM on another OS but in my experience these are pretty limited for running applications like Vivado or Vitis.

I get it that trying to follow a tutorial that's written for an OS that you don't have is a problem for beginners but then again I haven't seen many tutorials that worked out exactly as written anyway.  A VM is just another layer of confusion that is likely to get in your way of doing what you want to do.

Archived