QSPI Flash Boot Issue on Arty A7-100T

Phil

Question

I have the Arty A7-100T board and I have worked through this QSPI flash boot tutorial:

https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/htsspisf/start

I am using Vivado 2019.1 with SDK as stated in the tutorial.  I am able to get this to work as long as I program the application in flash first before I then program the bitstream and bootloader.  If I do it in the order as in the tutorial (program the application last), the application never executes.  Most likely the bitstream is not loading because the DONE LED does not illuminate.  It is as if programming the application erases the entire flash rather than the section starting at the designated programming address.

I have not tried to examine the contents of flash when this happens, so I am not sure what is really happening to it.  I have read through lots of messages on this board looking for a solution, but have not seen anything that looks like it would resolve this.  Assuming that I am not doing something incorrectly, is there a known solution for this?

2 answers to this question

Thanks @JColvinfor taking a look into this.  I have discovered another twist on the issue.  I have programmed the flash both ways described in my original post, and after each time I have downloaded the programmed flash contents to a .bin file from the Hardware Manager.  Comparing the two .bin files, they are identical.  I can then re-program the flash using the .bin files, and each time after loading each .bin file, the bitstream and application are woriking.  Even using the .bin file from the flash procedure that did not work.

So to recap, here's what I have:

1.  Program bitstream/bootloader then application using SDK - DOES NOT WORK

2.  Dump flash contents to file then rewrite same content to flash using Hardware Manager - WORKS PROPERLY

3.  Program application then bitstream/bootloader using SDK - WORKS PROPERLY

4.  Dump flash contents to file then rewrite same content to flash using Hardware Manager - WORKS PROPERLY

Archived