I want to use usb/uart to send data from my zyboz7-10 board to pc without using sdk .Actually I dont know C language and i dont want learn it .Anyone can help me Thanks

Garzan

Question

3 answers to this question

Your question raises more questions, like what do you want to do with such a UART if you don't want to connect it to a processor and write software.

The simplest path to doing what your tag line suggests is to put your UART in the PL and bypass the PS altogether. This seems like  waste of the main functionality of your board.

If you intend to involve the PS then your options are probably more difficult than learning the basics of C. After all the SDK does provide nice example projects for a PS UART to help out. But if you want to use Xilinx tools you are stuck with C or C++. You don't say what language you want to program the PS with. COBAL or Fortran likely involves a lot of work on your part. If you like Python there's the possibility of porting the PYNQ framework to the ZYBO; perhaps it's already been done. I haven't used PYNQ but it looks like doing anything useful and unique will require learning something new. If you don't like Python you can always create your own custom Linux based OS. That approach begs for two more questions. If this is a one-off educational project is that worth the effort? If you intend to do something more useful and keep at it do you really think of yourself as an OS maintainer?

Basically, the statement "I want to transport data between my board and a PC" is too vague to merit a proper answer.

Your question raises more questions, like what do you want to do with such a UART if you don't want to connect it to a processor and write software.

...                                                           ...

Basically, the statement "I want to transport data between my board and a PC" is too vague to merit a proper answer.

Thanks a lot for your posting zygot my main purpose of using uart is monitor and interfacing my fpga design parameter when program is running.I dont want to spend a lot of time to learning C or any other software already I know python and matlab . For example i want monitor xadc voltage value. Am I have to use SDK and C I just I want to learn this.

The simplest path to doing what your tag line suggests is to put your UART in the PL and bypass the PS altogether. This seems like  waste of the main functionality of your board.(can you give details and  an example or any source if is it possible Thanks :)

6 hours ago, Garzan said:

For example i want monitor xadc voltage value. Am I have to use SDK and C I just I want to learn this.

No. For regular Series7 FPGA devices you can do that using the XADC and a UART. I haven't done this for a ZYNQ but I believe that this is the case for ZYNQ as well. This method requires skill with Verilog or VHDL. There are examples of connecting a UART to registers in an HDL design in the Digilent Project Vault like this one: https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/4348-a-uart-based-debugger-tool/

You can search the Digilent repositories for HDL accessing the XADC. You don't need a processor to do this. By far the quickest and easiest way to present XADC notifications of things like substrate temperature, power rail voltages etc. for a ZYNQ is through the PS with a a bit of C programming.

I usually have a UART user interface in my non-ZYNQ Series7 FPGA designs just to monitor core temperature. I don't know of a ready-to-use example for doing this on a ZYNQ device though porting HDL code for other devices should be straight forward. If you look around in this project you will find VHDL code for accessing the XADC: https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/2898-differential-pmod-challenge/

Archived