Zooming on a point of trace using SDK or Waveform

parselmaster

Question

Hello all,

I need to use Analog Discovery to capture a trace from board and am completely new to this. The board has program consisting of a timer between the two operations such that after first operation there is significant interval before the next one to make it easily noticeable. I am using the channel 0 pins at the two end points where I can get the trace.

The problem I am having is that I want a zoomed capture of the operation only but not sure how to do it. I tried setting the acquisition mode to trigger but it does not seems to work correctly. Can someone please inform me how should I proceed with this?

I also tried using python SDK but not much luck on that side either. Have attached screen grabs from Waveform2015 first of which shows the 'peak' I want to zoomed in and the second pic is of my terrible attempt at zooming...

Thank you in advance and any help would be truly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 8.05.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 7.20.37 PM 1.png

2 answers to this question

Hello parselmaster,

Sorry about the slow response, could you please elaborate on the issues with the trigger. Also If the zoom function is not giving you the view that you are looking for I know that you can use the scroll wheel on the mouse to make the time or voltage per division much smaller.     

thank you,

Jon

Hi parselmaster,

In terms of getting the trigger option to work a little better, it looks like you are attempting to capture the dip that occurs. I would recommend changing "Auto" in the dropdown menu to "Normal". This will make WaveForms only start acquiring data when the trigger event occurs (auto has WaveForms 2015 wait for a couple of seconds for the event and then start acquisition anyway). I would also change the time base on the right hand side of the screen to a closer value of how long you might expect the event to occur, so maybe 2 or 5 ms/Div. You can then also set the level dropdown menu to specifiy what voltage the event needs to reach before the "trigger" happens. I would then finally recommend running a single acquistion (over the normal "run" arrow) so that way you can see your event and not have WaveForms keep acquiring data past your event.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived