Analog Discovery 2 stopped working with Raspberry Pi 4

Chuankun

Question

Hi,

I had my Analog Discovery 2 working with Raspberry Pi 4 before. However, it stopped working today after me executing "sudo reboot" on the Raspberry Pi while the Analog Discovery 2 was connected and running. 

I checked that the Analog Discovery still works fine on other computers (Windows 10, Ubuntu 20.04). I tried different USB ports / cables on the Raspberry Pi, and had no luck. The Raspberry Pi is powered from the original power supply, and I am now connecting only the Analog Discovery, so there should be no power issue. 

I ran "usb-devices" on the Raspberry pi to see if there is something. However there are no differences with the Analog Discovery connected or not. I listed the output below anyway if this might be helpful. 

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=480 MxCh= 1
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev=05.04
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 5.4.79-v7l+ xhci-hcd
S:  Product=xHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=0000:01:00.0
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=480 MxCh= 4
D:  Ver= 2.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=2109 ProdID=3431 Rev=04.21
S:  Product=USB2.0 Hub
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=100mA

T:  Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=5000 MxCh= 4
D:  Ver= 3.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=03 MxPS= 9 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0003 Rev=05.04
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 5.4.79-v7l+ xhci-hcd
S:  Product=xHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=0000:01:00.0
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA

The Raspberry Pi USB ports seemingly are still working. I can read my HDD portable drive on it without any problem. I purged and reinstalled the following packages on my Pi, but still couldn't get connected. 

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dpkg -l | grep digilent
ii  digilent.adept.runtime                  2.21.2                              armhf        Digilent Adept Runtime
ii  digilent.adept.utilities                2.4.1                               armhf        Digilent Adept Utilities
ii  digilent.waveforms                      3.14.3                              armhf        Digilent WaveForms

I guess I should use the same version for the Waveforms and adept packages. However I can't find the same version number on the webpage. The earliest version of Waveforms that I can find is 3.0.16 while the most recent version of adept runtime is 2.21.2. So I just installed the latest version anyway...

Any suggestions on how I can proceed? Thanks a lot for your help!

4 answers to this question

Hi @Chuankun,

I had a similar problem. I have just bought and updated a Raspberry Pi 4 B and installed Adept Runtime 2.21.2, Adept Utilities 2.4.1 and Waveforms 3.14.3 without any issues.

When I run Waveforms from the applications menu its Device Manager doesn't see my AD2, despite it's connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports.

I tried both lsusb and sudo lsusb, and there was a difference, the latter showed more devices, so I also tried to run Waveforms from the command line sudo /usr/bin/waveforms, and it started to work!

(I probably made a mistake when I installed the Digilent packages as root, and not as the user pi.)

Thanks! Sorry I have just used the Analog Discovery 2 on a PC instead recently, until it broke somehow... Thank you very much for the suggestions!  I unfortunately cannot test your suggestions unless I can repair it or get a new one?

Archived