CMOD A7 with Micron flash programs and runs fine; programs but does not run on board with Macronix flash.

Kyle_Jackson

Question

We've been using the CMOD A7s for some time without issue. Recently, we received a batch of boards with Macronix flash chips instead of the Micron chips and while they seem to program fine from the SDK, they don't seem to run the firmware after reset. Unfortunately, our FPGA developer is no longer here, and I have extremely limited experience with this stuff. I'm an MCU guy, not an FPGA guy.

Other than selecting the correct memory device when programming the flash from the SDK, is there anything else I need to change for these new boards with the Macronix flash?

22 answers to this question

@Kyle_Jackson

I was able to get the SREC bootloader working on a Cmod A7 - 35T that has the Macronix flash using Vivado 2019.1. To get this to work you have to include the Xilinx QSPI controller in your Microblaze block design and in the IP configuration either select "Standard" for the mode (SPI x1 mode) or if you select "QUAD" then make sure to select "Macronix" for Slave Device.

Once you are in SDK and have created the SREC bootloader project (and associated BSP) you need to open "bootloader.c" from the sources and scroll down until you find the call to "XIsf_Initialize". Double click the function name to highlight it, right click and select "Open Declaration". Once you have "xilisf.c" open do the following:

1. Somewhere near the top of xilisf.c add the following:

#define XISF_MACRONIX_DEV_MX25L3233F    0x2016  /**< Device ID for MX25L3233F */

2. In xilisf.c find the definition for IntelStmDevices[] and add the following:

{XISF_MANUFACTURER_ID_MACRONIX, XISF_MACRONIX_DEV_MX25L3233F,
          XISF_BYTES256_PER_PAGE, XISF_PAGES256_PER_SECTOR,
          XISF_NUM_OF_SECTORS64},

3. Save xilisf.c, which should rebuild the project.

Once you've completed the above steps you need to go through the process of generating a download.bit that has integrated the bootloader elf with the bitstream, program that to the flash at offset 0, and then program your application SREC to the flash at the appropriate offset. I placed my SREC at offset 0x00180000 (same offset I set in blconfig.h of the srec bootloader project) since my bitstream was only ~1100KB. You may need to use a different offset depending on the size of your bitstream+bootloader elf combination.

I suggest that anyone who is unfamiliar with the SREC bootloader process follow the guide linked below but select "Macronix" for the Slave Device and perform the xilisf.c modifications.

https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/htsspisf/start

Thanks
Michael

1 hour ago, Kyle_Jackson said:

I feel like the solution must be something simple I'm just missing.

Perhaps you should be feeling like the solution is your board vendor's responsibility. Any product production change that changes the behavior of a product is not the responsibility of the customer. Any time a component is replaced there is a chance of this happening. Unfortunately, sometimes due to component availability this is a necessity.  What should happen is that someone should be testing board revisions thoroughly. Some vendors are better at allocating resources to doing proper testing than others. When you don't create qualification demos that validate all of the product functionality you're likely to miss important details. Lets, face it. This is a low margin product. But that's not important to a customer wanting to have a product available in quantities over a long time frame.

Try shooting a few more, perhaps better aimed arrows. But, it's good to have this issue prominently displayed for other customers and potential customers.

Likely, this is an unfortunate time of the year to be running into this so there might not be a lot of people seeing the smoke signals.

Edited by zygot

Thanks, zygot. It is frustrating that Digilent called the Macronix flash a "drop in replacement" for the Micron in their reference docs when it's apparently not.

Thanks, Ana-Maria.

I've made some progress on figuring out what's going on, but no progress towards a solution.

Debugging from the SDK the SPI bootloader seems to crash when it tries to access the flash.

This project was created in Vivado 2017.2. In the SDK source there's no device information for Macronix flash, nor is it an option in the QSPI block customization in Vivado. I opened the project in Vivado 2020.2, and there is now the option to select Macronix flash in the QSPI block customization as the slave device. However, enough stuff has changed between these versions that I can't move forward due to other errors and due to my inexperience I have no idea how to fix them.

After some further searching I've discovered Micron has obsoleted the flash used in these boards, hence the switch to Macronix. It's really unfortunate that these CMOD boards have the same part number but require a change to the original design to work.

Alliance Memory seems to have purchased to rights to manufacture these legacy Micron parts, so I'm going to try replacing the Macronix flash with this Micron-like part and see if that works. Hopefully device and manufacturer IDs remain the same and it Just Works. If that fails I suppose my next step is hire a contractor to get our project running in a newer version of Vivado. Or, perhaps just re-implement this fairly simple project in an MCU.

17 minutes ago, Kyle_Jackson said:

It is frustrating that Digilent called the Macronix flash a "drop in replacement" for the Micron in their reference docs when it's apparently not.

Adding alternate vendor part number to a BOM in order to do a production run is always prone to error. Complex parts deserve extra attention to detail as component manufacturers tend to overstate compatibility with competitor parts. Using a new part for a product run and sending the results into distribution without extensive functional testing is not a mistake that should ever be made, but this happens. This especially happens when functionality is not a supported feature of the product, which in not uncommon for FPGA development hardware.

At least you have an indication of movement on your issue. Hoping that you are back to doing what you'd want to be doing in short order.

I have been looking into both the Macronix and Micron flash chips over the last few days to understand their similarities and differences, and I have a pretty good idea now about which functions work the same, and which work differently between the two chips.

For what it's worth, these are my findings. I hope it may be of use.

The following commands work the same:

• READ ( 03h), no dummy cycles between address and data.
  • DREAD (3Bh), needs 1 dummy write (8 cycles) between address and data.
  • FREAD a.k.a. FAST READ (0Bh), needs 1 dummy write (8 cycles) between address and data.
  • QREAD (6Bh), needs 1 dummy write (8 cycles) between address and data. HOWEVER, on the Macronix chip, quad-bit data mode needs to be explicitly enabled; on the Micron chip, it is unconditionally available.
  • PP a.k.a. PAGE PROGRAM (02h)
  • SE a.k.a. 4K SECTOR ERASE (20h)
  • WREN (06h) sets the "write enable" bit in the status register. This command needs to precede the PP and SE commands.

The following commands work differently:

• 2READ( BBh), the Macronix needs 1 dummy write (4 cycles, 2 bits/cycle), the Micron needs 2 writes (8 cycles, 2 bits/cycle).
  • 4READ (EBh), the Macronix needs 3 dummy writes (6 cycles, 4 bits/cycle), the Micron needs 5 (10 cycles, 4 bits/cycle).

The Micron chip supports "Dual" and "Quad" command modes, where even the initial command byte can be sent using multiple DQ bits (2 or 4, respectively). On the Macronix chip, the initial command bytes is always sent over 1 bit only (DQ0 aka MOSI).

The configuration and status registers are also quite different between the 2 chips, but fortunately the RDSR command (05h) works on both, and even though the status registers are different, the most important bits "WIP" (bit 0) that is used to monitor "write in progress" of the PP and SE command work identically.

Myself, I have decided to just work with a minimal subset of the Flash commands that is identical between the two chips and not subject to chip-dependent configuration. In particular, the commands "READ", "PAGE PROGRAM", and "4K SECTOR ERASE", "WREN" and "RDSR" (the latter to monitor the write-in-progress bit) do everything I need and require minimal code and effort to get working.

The read performance is a factor 4 lower than it could be (using the 4READ or QREAD commands), but for my application that isn't relevant and I prefer not having to do chip-dependent stuff.

Edited by reddish

Thanks for that information, reddish. We're lucky to have someone very skilled at PCB rework, thus it's fairly trivial for us to replace the Macronix flash IC with the Alliance Memory Micron clones. At our relatively low volumes, the additional cost and time is negligible. I can confirm that the Alliance ICs look just like the Micron ICs to the Xilinx SDK and Vivado, and they flash and run just fine.

Digilent, it might be worth looking into these Alliance Memory ICs, which truly are a "drop-in replacement" for the Micron ICs, for future product runs.

To Zygot's point R&D did test Macronix flash with end applications and was aware that the Macronix part is not a drop in replacement. Programming the part from within the Xilinx tools requires different steps (selecting a different IC) and accessing it from an application using Xilinx's QSPI core requires different and/or extra steps. That's why a flash memory rarely gets swapped out on a Digilent product, even when procurement or marketing come to R&D wanting to replace a part for cost reduction and/or joint marketing opportunities. We try to avoid switching out flash unless there's no other option. In this particular case procurement notified R&D that the original Micron flash was EOL and that soon it would no longer be possible to purchase that component. At that time the Macronix part was the only one identified that would fit within the physical space constraints of the Cmod A7 and thus we chose to use that part.

I just looked through the manufacturing test and see that it was updated to support multiple flash memory options, including Macronix, on September 8 of 2017. So there has been quite a bit of delay between when procurement asked R&D to replace the flash and when customers started receiving modules with the Macronix flash. The fact that this forum thread exists means that we failed to properly document the changes required to use the Macronix flash, and I'm sorry for any hardship that has caused anyone.

The following code snippet was adapted from an Xilinx example project for their QSPI core and should work with Micron, Spansion, and Macronix flash. As far as I can remember the main difference between communicating with Micron and Macronix flash is related to the number of dummy cycles required when performing dual and quad read operations. Spansion and Macronix flash use the same dummy count, while Spansion flash also requires an extra step (sending a command to explicitly enable quad mode). Please note that cbDualReadDummy, cbQuadReadDummy, cbDualIOReadDummy, cbDualIOReadDummy, and cbQuadIOReadDummy are global variables used by the read function when performing a read operation of a specific type.

#define cmdReadID 0x9F /* Read manufacturer ID of SPI Flash */

#define cbDualReadDummyMicron        2
#define cbQuadReadDummyMicron        4
#define cbDualIOReadDummyMicron        2
#define cbQuadIOReadDummyMicron        5

#define cbDualReadDummySpansion        4
#define cbDualIOReadDummySpansion    2
#define cbQuadReadDummySpansion        4
#define cbQuadIOReadDummySpansion    3

/* Read the manufacturer ID from the SPI Flash.
    */
    if ( ! FSpiFlashGetManufactureID(pxspiFlash) ) {
        if (fVerbose ) {
            xil_printf("Error: failed to read manufacturer ID!\r\n");
        }
        return fFalse;
    }

if ( 0x01 == rgbRead[1] ) {
        if (fVerbose ) {
            xil_printf("Spansion Flash!\r\n");
        }
        fSpansionFlash = fTrue;
        cbDualReadDummy = cbDualReadDummySpansion;
        cbQuadReadDummy    = cbQuadReadDummySpansion;
        cbDualIOReadDummy = cbDualIOReadDummySpansion;
        cbQuadIOReadDummy = cbQuadIOReadDummySpansion;
    }
    else if ( 0x20 == rgbRead[1] ) {
        if (fVerbose ) {
            xil_printf("Micron Flash!\r\n");
        }
        fSpansionFlash = fFalse;
        cbDualReadDummy = cbDualReadDummyMicron;
        cbQuadReadDummy    = cbQuadReadDummyMicron;
        cbDualIOReadDummy = cbDualIOReadDummyMicron;
        cbQuadIOReadDummy = cbQuadIOReadDummyMicron;
    }
    else if ( 0xC2 == rgbRead[1] ) {
        if (fVerbose ) {
            xil_printf("Macronix Flash!\r\n");
        }
        fSpansionFlash = fFalse;
        cbDualReadDummy = cbDualReadDummySpansion;
        cbQuadReadDummy    = cbQuadReadDummySpansion;
        cbDualIOReadDummy = cbDualIOReadDummySpansion;
        cbQuadIOReadDummy = cbQuadIOReadDummySpansion;
    }
    else {
        if (fVerbose ) {
            xil_printf("Unknown Flash!\r\n");
        }
        fSpansionFlash = fFalse;
        return fFalse;
    }

BOOL FSpiFlashGetManufactureID(XSpi* pxspiFlash) {

/* Wait until the flash is ready to accept the next command.
    */
    if ( ! FSpiFlashWaitForFlashReady(pxspiFlash) ) {
        return fFalse;
    }

rgbWrite[0] = cmdReadID;
    fTransferring = fTrue;
    if ( XST_SUCCESS != XSpi_Transfer(pxspiFlash, rgbWrite, rgbRead, cbStsRead) ) {
        return fFalse;
    }

/* Wait for the transfer to complete and then check for errors.
    */
    while ( fTransferring ) {
        asm("nop");
    }

if( 0 != cerrTrans ) {
        cerrTrans = 0;
        return fFalse;
    }

return fTrue;
}

BOOL FSpiFlashRead(XSpi* pxspiFlash, u32 addrRead, u32 cbRead, u8 cmdRead) {

/* Wait until the flash is ready to accept the next command.
    */
    if ( ! FSpiFlashWaitForFlashReady(pxspiFlash) ) {
        return fFalse;
    }

/* Populate the buffer with the read command and starting address.
    */
    rgbWrite[0] = cmdRead;
    rgbWrite[1] = (u8) (addrRead >> 16);
    rgbWrite[2] = (u8) (addrRead >> 8);
    rgbWrite[3] = (u8) addrRead;
    rgbWrite[4] = 0;

/* Certain read commands require additional bytes to be transferred.
    ** Extend the read byte count if required for the specified command.
    */
    if ( cmdDualRead == cmdRead ) {
        cbRead += cbDualReadDummy;
    }
    else if ( cmdDualIORead == cmdRead ) {
        cbRead += cbDualIOReadDummy;
    }
    else if ( cmdQuadIORead == cmdRead ) {
        cbRead += cbQuadIOReadDummy;
    }
    else if ( cmdQuadRead == cmdRead ) {
        cbRead += cbQuadReadDummy;
    }

/* Transfer the write command and the data to the flash and perform
    ** the requested read.
    */
    fTransferring = fTrue;
    if ( XST_SUCCESS != XSpi_Transfer(pxspiFlash, rgbWrite, rgbRead, (cbRead + cbRWExtra)) ) {
        return fFalse;
    }

/* Wait for the transfer to complete and then check for errors.
    */
    while ( fTransferring ) {
        asm("nop");
    }

if( 0 != cerrTrans ) {
        cerrTrans = 0;
        return fFalse;
    }

return fTrue;
}

I hope these code snippets are helpful for anyone having issues reading from the Macronix flash.

@Kyle_Jackson I don't think we will change to the Alliance Memory part because doing so would likely cause more issues, with a mix of Macronix boards already in the field. However, I would appreciate it if you can provide the part number for the IC that used so that I can note it just in case we do decide to make a change.

Thanks,
Michael

@malexander The part number is exactly the same, N25Q032A13EF440F. I do understand changing again would just introduce a whole new layer of potential issues. I do recommend making some changes to the reference manual, though, as it currently states:

In manufacturing, parts sometimes need to be replaced when the product goes end-of-life. The Quad SPI Flash memory on any particular Cmod A7 may be one of the drop-in replacements found in the Table 4.1 below.

I know now that "drop-in" applies to the footprint of the device package only, whereas I obviously took it to mean something different. Nowhere does it state that the different parts require source code or design changes on the part of the user. That would have been a helpful note to save the inexperienced (like me) much troubleshooting time.

Thanks also for the code snippet. I'll see if I can get that working when I have a chance. For the moment, we've simply replaced the flash ICs on enough modules to carry us for a while.

3 hours ago, Kyle_Jackson said:

I know now that "drop-in" applies to the footprint of the device package only

No, I'd disagree with that comment. Drop-in means that no PCB or board design revisions are required to use any qualified alternate part on the BOM. This certainly includes the footprint. It also means that a customer who might be trying to use multiple pieces of a product that aren't from the same manufacturing run won't notice a change in components. This is an important point from the customer's viewpoint as it can make their life a lot more complicated.

Sometimes, there are no suitable alternate parts available to do a production run. The customer should never be the one to get the surprise. It's the vendor's responsibility to let customers know in advance it they start shipping product that isn't completely compatible in any way with previous copies of a product. If someone wants to OEM a module like the CMOD then they deserve to be allowed to decide whether or not it makes sense to have the burden of maintaining code for multiple versions of a component that isn't even identifiable as unique from other versions. 

Even if Digilent did the right thing and made it clear on the sales and product pages that certain versions of a product had unique labels like a run # or date codes signifying different behaviors, and, in the case of something like FLASH, they provided IP that detected the FLASH in the product and handled the unique aspects of every version of the product that was ever produced they have an obligation to make this known in advance of a sale. Yes, for most CMOD customers this kind of thing isn't a big deal. If you are going to OEM a product to other companies then you have a responsibility to consider their needs.

Edited by zygot

For the curious.

And when the next production run needs a different part that isn't a 'drop in' replacement for either of the two previous FLASH devices then what? Will there be an identification scheme to tell the modules apart at the time of sale? Will there be a change notice, which is a typical practice, published before new modules enter distribution?

If I were going to use an OEM component in a product I'd want this information. I'd want this information even if I decided to buy another CMOD for the lab. My time and costs matter to me and should matter to anyone wanting to sell me stuff, especially in quantity.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:29 PM, malexander said:

@Kyle_Jackson

I was able to get the SREC bootloader working on a Cmod A7 - 35T that has the Macronix flash using Vivado 2019.1. To get this to work you have to include the Xilinx QSPI controller in your Microblaze block design and in the IP configuration either select "Standard" for the mode (SPI x1 mode) or if you select "QUAD" then make sure to select "Macronix" for Slave Device.

Once you are in SDK and have created the SREC bootloader project (and associated BSP) you need to open "bootloader.c" from the sources and scroll down until you find the call to "XIsf_Initialize". Double click the function name to highlight it, right click and select "Open Declaration". Once you have "xilisf.c" open do the following:

1. Somewhere near the top of xilisf.c add the following:

#define XISF_MACRONIX_DEV_MX25L3233F    0x2016  /**< Device ID for MX25L3233F */

2. In xilisf.c find the definition for IntelStmDevices[] and add the following:

{XISF_MANUFACTURER_ID_MACRONIX, XISF_MACRONIX_DEV_MX25L3233F,
          XISF_BYTES256_PER_PAGE, XISF_PAGES256_PER_SECTOR,
          XISF_NUM_OF_SECTORS64},

3. Save xilisf.c, which should rebuild the project.

Once you've completed the above steps you need to go through the process of generating a download.bit that has integrated the bootloader elf with the bitstream, program that to the flash at offset 0, and then program your application SREC to the flash at the appropriate offset. I placed my SREC at offset 0x00180000 (same offset I set in blconfig.h of the srec bootloader project) since my bitstream was only ~1100KB. You may need to use a different offset depending on the size of your bitstream+bootloader elf combination.

I suggest that anyone who is unfamiliar with the SREC bootloader process follow the guide linked below but select "Macronix" for the Slave Device and perform the xilisf.c modifications.

https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/htsspisf/start

Thanks
Michael

A quick note here. The source files that need editing are part of a library (https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841939/xilisf) compiled into a bsp/domain. By navigating to the source files in SDK/Vitis, the local copy of the library's source files are opened. Any modification is done on this local copy and built into the static library (and application) upon build. However, when the source files of the bsp/domain are re-generated (context menu, Regenerate BSP sources), the changes are overwritten from the originals in the Xilinx install directory. Take care this does not happen.

A more permanent solution is forking the library repository (https://github.com/Xilinx/embeddedsw) editing the sources there and including a path to the modified repository in SDK/Vitis Xilinx->Repositories->Global.

Edited by elodg

On 1/12/2021 at 8:41 AM, zygot said:

For the curious.

And when the next production run needs a different part that isn't a 'drop in' replacement for either of the two previous FLASH devices then what? Will there be an identification scheme to tell the modules apart at the time of sale? Will there be a change notice, which is a typical practice, published before new modules enter distribution?

If I were going to use an OEM component in a product I'd want this information. I'd want this information even if I decided to buy another CMOD for the lab. My time and costs matter to me and should matter to anyone wanting to sell me stuff, especially in quantity.

We've updated our procedures to ensure that the modules will be easily identifiable whenever a change to form, fit, or function is made. There will also be a PCN issued before new modules go into distribution.

Thanks for your hints malexander.
I had a project on a Cmod A7-35T with micron-flash and vivado/sdk 2017.4 that worked perfectly till a new shipping arrived with cmods with macronix flash MX25L3233F.
After some analysis and forum searches I found this thread and the good hints.
I followed them and the updated guide @ https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/htsspisf/start

First I tried it with my old 2017.4 (because I saw no hint, that it have to be a never SDK). But it didn't work.
Then i migrate my project to vitis 2020.2 but I had some new problems with this.

So I finally migrate my project to 2019.1 (because this seems to be the last version with SDK).

After many hours of trial and error, I found out, that the described way didn't work on my site, when writing first the bootloader and after that the application at 0x00300000. But if I do it the other way, it works! :-)
I can not understand why this is so, but I tested it several times with different programming orders.

It seems, that I have to program the application first and the bootloader second, otherwise the FPGA doesn't boot, the DONE led never lits and my design is not loaded.

When reread the flash content after both programming sequences it is always exactly the same content in flash. So the different seems to be in the flash configuration registers.
I read the datasheet and looked for the non-volatile flags and found the quad enable QE bit. Maybe the program_flash sets this bit only when programming with 0x00 offset?
To test against this suspicion, I tried to configure my AXI_QUAD_SPI from "quad" to "standard" and it really boot with this solution in every programming sequence, also 1st bootloader and 2nd application (but of course much slower).

Edited by Joern

I have just asked this exact same question elsewhere on the forum...as I just purchased another 5 CMOD A7, and discovered this issue, after wasting days wondering what is wrong.

It is now 6 months since this original post...is there a comprehensive solution from Digilent to this production problem they introduced without notice to users ?

A step by step guide would be appreciated, as popping in code snippets and forking from github is beyond my capabiilties, though I was able to get the part working with Vivado 2016.2 until this latest batch of CMODs.

Perhaps there are many other users who can handle writing verilog code and using constraints files, to get working products, but that is the extent of their capabilities, and who need to continue using this part ?

Hi elodg, Thanks for your reply.

Are the steps you are referring to as shown in the screenshot ? ie: just editting the xilisf.c file to incl the Macronix part ?

I found that doc rather overwhelming (.... in fact, I dont know how I managed to develop code for CMOD A7 and Vivado 2016, 5 years ago, in the first place !)

image.thumb.png.52d7d4369937aff50a4347045fa8729b.png

What I ended up doing is as follows below...in case it helps some other newbie:

I installed Vivado 2019.1 (no update), webpack w free license....on a new WIN10 machine...so totally clean install...got the free license.

I then copied only the CMOD-A7 board files from the Digilent github, as documented, and placed the CMOD-A7 folder into my ...XILINX/..../boardfiles/ folder...so that Vivado has CMOD-A7 board knowledge.

I copied my original 2016 project folder to a new c:/ ... folder, opened Vivado 2019.1, and open that old project..which worked fine.

Ran Synthesis, Implementation, Bitstream, opened HW Mgr, connected CMOD device, Open Target, ...all worked fine, until Add Config Memory Device.

Moment of truth....

Macronix, 32Mb, mx25L3233... device was present in the list of memories...which was not the case with 2016. So that is what I needed.

So its programmed, and device worked as expected after removal and testing.

So, prob'ly all thats required to resolve this issue for users is to inform Vivado about the new Macronix device...however, there may be non-power users like me that struggle to follow the steps provided so far.

It would be great (actually, essential...) if Digilent had a doc that showed , step by step, how to inform Vivado of this new memory device...so they can keep using their existing setup..instead of doing a total new install as I did.

There are two separate issues related to flash device support on Xilinx platforms: Vivado support and software support. It seems that you are looking for the former, while this whole thread is about the latter. Vivado support is documented for each version in ug908, Appendix E: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2021_1/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf#_OPENTOPIC_TOC_PROCESSING_d114e38049. It refers to the capability of Vivado hardware manager to be able to erase and program the memory device. There are no steps involved, Xilinx either supports it or not. I added a note to the reference manual about the minimum requirement for the Vivado version that supports the Macronix part.

What others were discussing in this thread is flash support in software running on the FPGA device using the xilifs library. This is an open-source library that Xilinx includes in their Vitis tools and has a seperate list of supported devices. This we can edit and extend, which the documentation is referring to.

Edited by elodg