PMOD AD5 error on Vivado 2020.2

Jorgep

Question

Hello, I installed Vivado 2020.2 on a new machine, and tried to get the PMOD AD5 working by following these instructions (I had it working before on a 2018.3 machine without issues). Bitstream failed with the following errors:

[DRC NSTD-1] Unspecified I/O Standard: 4 out of 138 logical ports use I/O standard (IOSTANDARD) value 'DEFAULT', instead of a user assigned specific value. This may cause I/O contention or incompatibility with the board power or connectivity affecting performance, signal integrity or in extreme cases cause damage to the device or the components to which it is connected. To correct this violation, specify all I/O standards. This design will fail to generate a bitstream unless all logical ports have a user specified I/O standard value defined. To allow bitstream creation with unspecified I/O standard values (not recommended), use this command: set_property SEVERITY {Warning} [get_drc_checks NSTD-1].  NOTE: When using the Vivado Runs infrastructure (e.g. launch_runs Tcl command), add this command to a .tcl file and add that file as a pre-hook for write_bitstream step for the implementation run. Problem ports: jc_pin9_io, jc_pin8_io, jc_pin7_io, and jc_pin10_io.

[DRC UCIO-1] Unconstrained Logical Port: 4 out of 138 logical ports have no user assigned specific location constraint (LOC). This may cause I/O contention or incompatibility with the board power or connectivity affecting performance, signal integrity or in extreme cases cause damage to the device or the components to which it is connected. To correct this violation, specify all pin locations. This design will fail to generate a bitstream unless all logical ports have a user specified site LOC constraint defined.  To allow bitstream creation with unspecified pin locations (not recommended), use this command: set_property SEVERITY {Warning} [get_drc_checks UCIO-1].  NOTE: When using the Vivado Runs infrastructure (e.g. launch_runs Tcl command), add this command to a .tcl file and add that file as a pre-hook for write_bitstream step for the implementation run.  Problem ports: jc_pin9_io, jc_pin8_io, jc_pin7_io, and jc_pin10_io.

How do I fix this? Is it related to the Digilent Vivado library not having a 2020 version?

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm using a Zybo Z7-20.

Edited by Jorgep

11 answers to this question

Hi @Jorgep,

I confirmed this behavior after downloading Vivado 2020.2; I believe it's an issue with those lower four I/O pins on the Pmod header not being properly assigned, so I've asked the appropriate engineers to look into this since I don't think the IPs were changed much from their older versions, so this is likely Vivado expecting some more specialized syntax in the IP itself.

Thanks,
JColvin

3 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @Jorgep,

I confirmed this behavior after downloading Vivado 2020.2; I believe it's an issue with those lower four I/O pins on the Pmod header not being properly assigned, so I've asked the appropriate engineers to look into this since I don't think the IPs were changed much from their older versions, so this is likely Vivado expecting some more specialized syntax in the IP itself.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thank you very much! Do you have any idea how long this may take?

Hi @Jorgep,

Not at this time, no. It depends on what the boss says is a time priority. Hopefully it won't take long, but finding the (as far as I know) new bug and then making sure a proper fix is applied to this Pmod and the 50 other Pmod IPs will take some time.

I would not expect it to be completed this week if that helps. And a number of the Digilent staff will take part or all of the week off next week, so it may be a bit of time before a fix is applied. I'm sorry that I don't have a more encouraging timeline to share.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hey @JColvin,

Don't know if I'm supposed to open a new thread for this, but I've been using the PMOD AD5 with 2018.3 for now, and I want to use all 8 pseudo-differential channels. While I'm able to read them using the .c and .h files, I have to read the status register to know what channel each sample belongs to. To work around this, I tried to modify the DAT_STA bit on the mode register but I can't seem to receive the status register's contents that way with the supplied C code. How should I modify the code to allow this?

Thanks!

On 3/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, Jorgep said:

Hey @JColvin,

Don't know if I'm supposed to open a new thread for this, but I've been using the PMOD AD5 with 2018.3 for now, and I want to use all 8 pseudo-differential channels. While I'm able to read them using the .c and .h files, I have to read the status register to know what channel each sample belongs to. To work around this, I tried to modify the DAT_STA bit on the mode register but I can't seem to receive the status register's contents that way (appended to the read data) with the supplied C code. How should I modify the code to allow this?

Thanks!

@JColvin any news on either this or the fix for the IPs on 2020.2?

Hi @Jorgep,

I am looking into the status register question.

The IPs have not been updated for 2020.2 as the engineer who normally updates and verifies the updates has tasked with other higher priority projects (as dictated by their boss) for several months.

Thanks,
JColvin

On 3/25/2021 at 2:35 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @Jorgep,

I am looking into the status register question.

The IPs have not been updated for 2020.2 as the engineer who normally updates and verifies the updates has tasked with other higher priority projects (as dictated by their boss) for several months.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

Any news on the status register question?