Using vivado for spartan 6 devices

Baig

Question

Hi,

I have spartan 6 embedded kit from xilinx and i want to use vivado software to generate bit stream for this device.

Xilinx vivado does not officially support spartan 6 or devices before 7 series and they recommend to use xilinx ISE for older devices. I'm more comfortable with vivado and don't want to consume my time on an older software that is of no use for more recent devices.

is their any way around to use spartan 6 in vivado. like if we could make vivado board package from ISE board package? or anything else

1 answer to this question

No.

For the same reasons that you can't use Quartus to create configuration files for Artix devices. The current version of Quartus doesn't support older Cyclone devices either. In fact, it's a pain trying to track down what version of that tool supports a particular device. Despite a similar UI, there are big differences between current versions of Quartus and early versions. Change is hard.

ISE is a much smaller program and in some ways a better behaved application than Vivado. ISE was designed in another era of FPGA device and OS technology. If you want to use old devices then you have to use the tools that support them.

Archived