rob2018t

Question

Hello fellow Digilent Members,

I hope everyone is well.

My Skill Level: I'm slowly progressing my knowledge of FPGA and Vivado using the Digilent Arty Z7-20 and Arty S7-50. Essentially quite a beginner and I've created simple RTL designs to flash LEDs, utilised the Microblaze, Zynq and made a AXI-4 IP block. All really exciting stuff IMO...I just need to make something more useful now.

My Question: when designing with the Arty S7-50 I'm able to specify the board and then drag across the reset into my top diagram and/or utilise that when auto completing the design. However in the Arty Z7-20 design there is nothing listed like this in the board peripherals tab (is shows the switches, buttons, LEDs etc). Indeed there is nothing in the XDC constraints file either. I do see that my board is a Rev. B and that the board.xml is only for rev A.0 - I cannot find anything newer. Could someone please advise how to add the reset into my design please for the Arty Z7-20 ? 

I'm on different computers for the Vivado and my email access so sharing of screenshots or listings will be a little slow (not impossible though if it helps someone determine any issues).

many thanks for any consideration :-)

1 answer to this question

To add to this, I tried to modify the board.xml and pins.xml files to add in the reset button that is on D9....but Vivado throws an "XML format" error when reading my Arty-Z7-RevB file(s). I'm not sure quite what is wrong but will keep trying. If I manage to get this right I'll post the files here to share them.

I also find that adding a UART to the Microblaze on this board makes an external connection but to what I'm unsure. When compiling the Vivado project it throws errors for unspecified I/O standards on uart_rtl_rxd and txd. Neither are listed in the standard XDC file for this board; again I'll see if I can add something to the board.xml so they can be dragged into the chematic easily.

Archived