Current Amplifier circuits for heavy loads

jfdo

Question

Hi again,

I have another question about best linear current amplifier circuit with MOSFET or any other.  Purpose is to amplify the waveforms generated by Analog Discovery to generate time varying magnetic fields, with different waveforms and frequencies. What would be the best circuit would be for this? I read in the web and they say MOSFET can handle high currents? But could not find info about the frequencies they can handle reliably with different wave forms.

I appreciate if some can provide me suggestions, circuit or shed some light/lead.

Thank you in advance.

2 answers to this question

Power mosfets can take a lot of punishment, and most of them are well behaved up into the upper kilohertz without it being a big problem. You'll probably need to build yourself a gate driver since the output current from the AD2's waveform generator is pretty meager, not enough to drive big power mosfets at high frequencies, they can need regular size amps of current to charge the gate quickly. So your block diagram probably looks something like AD2->gate driver->amplifier->load. 

Archived