Discovery 2 analyser and product and vendor id of ft232

Makelani

Question

You are using the ft232 chip for communicating between the discover 2 and the host (Windows 10). The problem is that you have not changed the product Id of the chip. This is problematic because we work with other boards which have now the same product and vendor id. 

Now we can not install the right windows driver for our other board because the two boards has the same product/vendor id. If I add my second device and want to change the driver, the driver of the discovery 2 board is also changed and this is ugly.

I dont know if you know that FTDI offers a service for customer to register without fees a product id. This is the way you must go if you didn't want to register your own vendor id.

What can we do now to fix the problem?

I have seen that you said to an other customer to write the eeprom with FT_Prog.  The idea is to change the product id of the discovery and assign the ftdi driver to this product id with your discovery 2.  I ask because I only want to do it if you said that this should not be a problem. 

3 answers to this question

Hi @Makelani

To solve this problem you could use the devices on different computers or attach one of them to a virtual machine.
You could also use different VID for your custom device and driver to not to interfere with the other "generic" FTDI devices.

For AD we have used the default FTDI VID/PID since changing this would have required us to sign the windows driver each time an update is released, and years ago fix updates were pushed out too often.

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I have a number of FT232H modules that I've programmed for Synchronous 245 FIFO mode using the FDTI D2XX driver. I use the 'open by serial number' programmed into the EEPROM and don't have this problem using multiple modules in WIN10. I also don't allow WIN10 to automatically update drivers for anything that it chooses to. I realized that this still requires the user to use the dreaded FT_Prog application to know what the SN is.

For years Altera/Intel had the same problem with the USB Blaster FPGA programmer application. Windows would always confuse random USB devices based on FTDI devices as a USB Blaster device. They've managed to overcome this in recent years. Surely, with the help of FTDI Digilent can come up with a better solution than 'use the devices with on different computers'.

Archived