Access to JTAG-SMT3 using FTDI D2XX driver (not from Xilinx software)

Eric Smith

Question

I'm trying to use the JTAG-SMT3 from my own C code, using the FTDI D2XX driver to directly send commands to the FTDI MPSSE. In other words, I want to generate JTAG transactions from my own program, rather than using Vivado or Impact. I am able to successfully enumerate the device with FTDI's D2XX driver for Windows, but it seems like sometimes I can't generate a JTAG transaction. I have tested my code with a different device, an FT232H breakout board, and it generates JTAG transactions without any issue.

Do I need to do anything special to enable a level translator on the JTAG-SMT3, or anything else on the board, e.g. by setting the FT2232H GPIO pins to particular states? The FT232H breakout board I've used doesn't have a level translator (or anything else) between the FTDI pins and my test circuit.  The FT232H uses the same MPSSE commands as the FT232H (documented in FTDI AN108), so I'd expect my code that works with the FT232H to also work with the JTAG-SMT3, unless there's some particular initialization that's necessary on the SMT3.

Just to be clear, I am using a genuine Digilent JTAG-SMT3. I'm not in any way trying to do anything contrary to Digilent licensing.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Archived