Issue with Arty S7 FPGA

Question

Hello,

I was working on an FPGA project and had the FPGA plugged in while debugging some VHDL on Xilinx when the board suddenly disconnected and I got an error on my laptop that said there was a USB power surge. Now when I plug the FPGA into my computer it connects and disconnects and I am unable to connect the board to the computer. 

I was hoping to try to debug any shorts of any sort, although it is tedious, but I cannot find a schematic in it's entirety. 

The board is fairly new (4 months max), does anyone have any suggestions for a fix or has anyone faced such an issue before?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Hi @User5717,

Like you surmised, something likely became shorted, though it's hard to say what.

You say the FPGA "connects and disconnects". Do you mean that it briefly shows up as a COM port in the Device Manager (presuming you are on Windows) and then disappears? Or does the Device Manager not recognize that anything is plugged in? I'm guessing Vivado is not able to recognize a detected board through it's Hardware Manager.

Is the Arty S7 still receiving power when you connect it (i.e. is the power LED on)? And on the chance that you have not overwritten the flash memory for one of your projects, does loading the jumper on JP1 and then applying power run the out-of-box demo?

Thanks,
JColvin

I have an update after doing some testing:

I have plugged in an AC adapter into the J13 Power connector (7-13V jack) and the FPGA loads with the default project. This leads me to believe a possible error in the USB circuitry? Would this be a fair assessment?

Assuming this is the case, Is there another way to program the FPGA to work around this issue?

Thanks