trouble getting Analog Discovery 2 to work on Ubuntu and Windows

LLWDTP

Question

I have struggled mightily to get my Analog Discovery 2 unit to work. I had it working a couple months ago. Then it would not work. I was using Ubuntu 18.04. I tried lsusb and it found the device. Then I tried dvad enum and it said no devices found (dvad may be the wrong command - I am doing it from memory now- it did work at the time). I uninstalled and reinstalled adept and waveforms. It worked in my office! Then I went to the lab and could not get it to work again.

In desperation I switch to Windows 10. Surely it would work then. It did not work. I got the following screen which I hope you will recognize. It seemed to go through the device manager process OK until I got to the program step and then it said FT_EE_Program failed.

Please help.

Screenshot 2020-10-30 160932.png

16 answers to this question

Thank you for your patience. I tried a different cable once on a machine with Windows 10 and again on a machine with windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04. Both machines recognize that there is a USB device hanging on them by way of LSUSB on Linux and Device manager on windows.

Is there a diagnostic or something that would help tell what is going on?

Hi @LLWDTP

The USB controller is not able to communicate with the EEPROM.
It could be the USB MCU IOs are damaged, resistor on the path missing or the EEPROM damaged.

I'm working since 15 years in this domain and have never seen such problem.
Could it be the device got high voltage on the USB or from other source? In this case other ICs are likely to be damaged as well.

Your device is long out of warranty but if you want to troubleshoot here you have instructions:
- verify if the marked resistors and soldering are ok, specially the top 10k and bottom 2k
   You can find this on the right side of the USB controller which is under the USB connector, pic 1-2
- try replacing the eeprom 93LC56B, SOT23-6
   This is located on the bottom of the device, on the left corner of the USB connector, pic 3

image.png.3d2b6dac75511f877a3a7410a7a9d910.png

image.png.8e5f1336d58c5dcdb15fba39d27977fa.png

image.png.1e06180b42da5856f7493f1cf0c06aaa.png

Hi @LLWDTP

If there is no software/driver problem, I'm wondering if there is any issue with the EEPROM...

I've added further error logging for "Device Fix" in the latest WF beta version, but it would be better to use dedicated USB application.

Under Windows, install the FT_Prog application and start it
https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities/FT_Prog_v3.10.132.511 Installer.exe
https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#FT_PROG

1. Press the "Scan" button. Is the "EEPROM Type" detected properly?
2. If so, under Device menu select Program and press Erase then Cycle. After this try "Device Fix" with WF app.

image.png.534c8eb5763d50aa42fa750f786a301f.png

image.png.c0db07bb8ea9d17d224fa7a06ba8932e.png

Hi @attila

That helped me get along in the process.  But it did not complete the programming. I captured a sequence of screen shots to show what I did.

1982680654_Screenshotfrom2020-11-1307-29-51.png.1f5774b3ab68b74672f8c537fed0bdc3.png

210991010_Screenshotfrom2020-11-1307-31-22.png.4cceafef1d122a021482b8553b9be95e.png

968133859_Screenshotfrom2020-11-1307-32-02.png.81c82cc8b4c1cb843740279e07f31b39.png

881397266_Screenshotfrom2020-11-1307-32-46.png.deb79efdd190d1ba22f43df36eb28a2b.png

There is one other thing to add. The first time I did the sequence you prescribed I got a bunch of messages in the terminal window that I used to start Wave forms. I did not save the messages but thought I would do the sequence again and save them. I did the sequence again and the messages did not show up. I uninstalled adept and waveforms and tried the sequence again. Still I got the same result.

The messages had something to do with encryption.

Thanks for your continued help.

Mark

Hi @LLWDTP

Under Linux enter the following commands:
sudo rmmod ftdi_sio
sudo rmmod usbserial
sudo waveforms

and proceed with device fix

It would be good to know how got the device eeprom erased, to prevent future problems.
Have you used FT_Prog or other USB development tools?

Some uart or jtag/spi/avr application that you have installed may have erased the AD2.
An MCU programming/debugging application you have may take control for AD2. Such could prevent fixing the device on Window...

Hi @attila

Waveforms never detects the device. I always get "No device detected"

When I use windows

The device fix dialog recognizes the device. I select the Analog Discovery 2 Device. I then press the "program" button and it tells me "FT_EE_Program Failed". The details are shown in the screenshots above.

When I use ubuntu

I don't get so far. I pull up the device fix dialog and I click "find device". Then I get the following reaction. "FR_OpenEx failed". It does not give me the opportunity to program the device like windows does.

Thank you for contiueing to help.

Mark

Screenshot from 2020-11-10 16-18-40.png

OK. After it worked in the office, I went to the lab and it didn't work. I tried in the lab uninstalling and reinstalling. No go. Then I went to the office and tried again. Uninstall, reboot, reinstall adept and waveforms (this is Linux) reboot and try waveforms. Several times I tried this. No go. Occasionally it would take a few seconds for waveforms to tell me there is not device, but now it immediately tells me there is no device.

I tried is on another windows machine and it tells me the same thing as the original windows machine as described above.

I understand that under certain circumstances the device is power starved so I thought I would try that. I looked for a 5 volt power supply in my collection but I could not find one.

I am out of ideas.

OK. It is now working with Linux. I deserve most of the blame. However, it is quite a narrow install procedure. You can do things that are very similar to the right thing and not have a clue you made a mistake until the end when it does not work. It is not as forgiving as most install procedures.

Thank you for your help.

Hi @LLWDTP

On Linux, specially with the new Ubuntu auto-update, the UDEV may be altered with an updated.
To solve this the Adept Runtime needs to be reinstalled.

Is the device detected properly on other machine or with other OS?
If it is working, the problem may be with the drivers on Windows.
This can be properly cleaned up the following way:

I think I did as you asked. I include evidence that should demonstrate that. There is no change in the outcome.

I get no device detected.

When I try to detect the device manually it tells me the EEPROM is Empty. When I hit the program button it tells me the program failed.

I think I have the latest driver from FTDI -2.12.28

Thank you for continuing to help me.

no device.png

eprom empty.png

program failed.png

Load VCP.png

driver.png

Hi @LLWDTP

1. Go to Windows Device Manager, USB/ USB Serial Converter/ Properties/ Advanced and Make sure the "Load VCP" is unchecked.
If this "Virtual Com Port" is checked some other driver or application may open and keep it busy.
Reconnect the device and see if it is detected by WF app or programming works.

image.png.76f4fffb9b4a05464de89341e5b02de3.png

2. Under Update Tab try "Update Driver" from Windows update or from FTDI site:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM v2.12.28 WHQL Certified.zip
https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

image.png.2dd19fcfb1c0ed76e247ad8406df70db.png

Archived