incompatibility between arduino IDE and MAC OS 10.15

jweitzen

Question

5 answers to this question

Yeah, its the 32bit toolchain.  I had to setup a Windows VM and run from that.  Apple is really raising a middle finger to anyone that has to do more than browse, run app store apps and text on computer these days.  Used to be my favorite platform for that stuff, not sure how long I'm going to keep paying that premium for this kind of treatment though.

I'm interested to know if it's on the roadmap as well.  Don't imagine it's a small job to make it all 64bit native.

Hi @jweitzen and @photomankc,

I hadn't heard about this issue until today, though it looks like there have been some recent issues based on this Arduino Forum thread: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=682815.0.

I don't have access to a Mac to test anything, but what version of the Arduino IDE is being used? Additionally, is it just PIC32 based boards or all boards that are not able to be targeted and programmed by the IDE?

Thanks,
JColvin

Can't speak to OP's direct situation but in my case, you could program Arduino based boards as I believe they recently updated their toolchains.  The Pic32 stuff, because it comes with its own toolchains that are still 32bit, Mac will now refuse to run them as all support for 32bit is apparently gone.  So I was not able to compile/verify at all for any Pic32 based ChipKit board.

Hi again @photomankc and @jweitzen,

I looked into this more and found that the Digilent Core uses the XC compiler v1.43 from Microchip which as you can imagine is only 32-bit. There is a more recent version of the compiler (v2.41) that is 64-bit only and compatible with the latest macOS, at least per the release notes page on their website here: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/xc32-v2.40-full-install-release-notes.html#newXC240target (note that the Microchip webpage says there is a 2.50 version of the compiler, but the materials for it link to 2.41).

What I am finding out now is the feasibility of the Digilent Core getting updated and re-tested with 64-bit versions of the Digilent Core, USB drivers, and XC compiler for a variety of different OS's along with updating the json file and some other files like platforms.txt.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived