Cross triggering multiple instruments (Digital Discovery)

gdchun

Question

I have a need to get more I/O lines than 1 pod offers.  It is not clear to me in the WaveForms software how this is accomplished.  If you have 3 DigitalDiscovery pods plugged into 3 USB ports,  can you make them act in unison for pattern generation or logic analyzer functions?  If so, how do you assign a common trigger in the software?  If you have 3 pods plugged in, will the software assign a tab to each one?  Will it allow you to combine data displays to one tab or do you have to switch between them?

4 answers to this question

I think this will work for logic analyzer operations (use a common input for trigger) but what about >16 signals for pattern generation?  In my application for reading/writing an SRAM, I need to:

1. generate 18 bits of address

2. One of these combinations: 

- 33 signals: 18 address, 8 data, 4 byte enables, 3 controls

- 39 signals: 18 address, 16 data, 2 byte enables, 3 controls

- 45 signals: 18 address, 32 data, 1 byte enable, 3 controls

Any of these combinations would appear to need 3 DigitalDiscovery pods to do this - I believe the same 3 pods could also be used in logic analyzer mode to read the memory

I understand you can synchronize logic analyzer pods with a common input signal line

Question: If it is possible, how do you synchronize pods for pattern generation (drive >16 outputs) ?

Archived