USB UART isn't present in Zybo-Z7 interfaces

Pavel_47

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi @Pavel_47,

It is not there because it is automatically configured for you as part of the Zynq preset associated with the Zybo Z7 (and the USB-UART is directly attached to the PS rather than the PL). I also see you are adding Microblaze to a Zynq design; I would not recommend doing that because Microblaze is a softcore processor that would be implemented on the PL, but the Zybo Z7 already has a separate ARM Core processor.

If you are following one Digilent's Getting Started With Vivado IPI's guide, such as this one for Vivado 2020.1, then you can follow the steps specifically for Zynq.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

I joined Arty S7 Workshop, organized by "Element 14". It's based on Arty 7. In his example the speaker uses MicroBlaze. Since I don't have an Arty card, I thought I could use my Zybo Z7 card. So there is no way to connect UART to PL?

Thanks,

Pavel.

Hi @Pavel_47,

Not through the existing board files and Zynq configuration as is, no. It's possible to set up a bridge between the PS and the PL to get UART working, though that will require some additional work with AXI and configuring the hardware and constraints file. There are a couple of threads on this here and here. To be fair, it does say on the workshop page that an Arty S7 is needed to participate in the workshop.

I don't know what all techniques and approaches will be used in the workshop as Digilent is not a part of the workshop series (outside of the hardware being used), but you could potentially follow our Pmod IP guide here which has steps for Zynq; a similar "Hello World" guide is available here. It will be far less interactive than the other workshop and may not cover all the topics that they cover though.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived