Nexys4 DDR USB problem

rzsmi

Question

For several months I have been using a Nexys4 DDR board on my Linux system for Vivado 2019.1 software development. A couple of days ago it Vivado would suddenly not recognize the board. A quick check in /dev/ttyUSBx shows the board did not register with the Linux OS. After deleting the rules file, I reinstalled the VIvado drivers. Still didn't register with /dev/ttyUSBx. Several cold reboots; nada. (Can't find the Digilent rules files)

Then I tried using a Cmod A7 on the same Linux system and it worked! Then I connected the Nexys4 board and two other Linux systems. one Vivado 2019.1 and the other 2918.2. Didn't work!

I appears the Nexys4 DDR board has a USB problem, altho the idle LED and display snake still function. I am wondering is there is any solutions to resolving this problem. Perhaps re-flashing the Nexys4 board? Did I miss something?

Many thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

Hi @rzsmi,

To double check, I presume you were using the same USB cable between the Nexys 4 DDR and the Cmod A7 (in the interest of ruling out a cable wearing out)? And since you didn't specifically mention it, does the Nexys board show up at all if you run lsusb with sudo?

Thanks,
JColvin

Yep, used the same cable when testing the Nexys 4 DDR and CmodA7. Tried the cable for my Analog Discovery 2 and had the same results. Hooked up my Zybo and it works too. Right now I am limping with the Zybo, but since the Zybo has been modified I would much rather go back to the Nexyx 4 DDR.

Hi @rzsmi,

If it's not showing up with lsusb and the same cable is successfully being used with other boards, then I suppose the USB controller on the Nexys 4 DDR has become damaged somehow, though I'm not certain how this might have happened.

If you want, I can work with you to see about an RMA, though it will ultimately be the sales team decision (presuming you purchased it directly from Digilent as opposed to a distributor) if they decide to grant the RMA or not depending on when it was purchased.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived